I'm not particularly sure what to call this seax, but the goal was to make this a seax that would have been accessible to the normal everyday person.

I had a lot of fun and learned a lot from this, hopefully many more to come!

Forged from 1065, and I did clay it but less for any real reason and more for practice mixing, applying, and working with a clayed blade.

1Normalizing.jpg 2Clay drying.jpg 3Post Quench.jpg

Handle is made out of burn-pile rescue Madrone, so it did have some checking in it, but I'm not too worried and it's not big enough to cause any pinching in the hand.  I added a bolster of antler from a shed for the express reason of wanting to play with circle and dot decorating.:P

4handle shaping.jpg 5Fitting Antler bolster.jpg 7First Dry Fit.jpg

Made my circle-dot scriber doohickymahbob out of some piano wire I had laying around.  Flattened it out,  filed it, and did a quick and dirty heat-treat with the propane torch.
There's definitely a learning curve to making it work, but when it does it's smooth and clean.  I also did a little bit of filing for some more minimal decorating.

9Circle&dot scraper.jpg 8Circle&dot scraping.jpg 11Finished Bolster.jpg

Now on to designing and constructing the sheath!  I wanted to try doing a Gotlandic style sheath so after many many drawings and some insight from some very awesome makers I was able to come up with a design motif that I thought accented the seax. :)

15Designing sheath1.jpg 16Sheath Concept.jpg 17Sheath construction.jpg

18Sheath dry-fit.jpg 19sheath work.jpg  22sheath dry-fit1.jpg

I opted to go with 2 rings and a copper chain after looking at a few photos of sheath finds that appeared to have a similar shape to mine that also had a chain attached.  One of my original introductions to making things was through chainmaille, so I had a blast going back to my roots and doing a small chain!

23sheath rings dry-fit.jpg 24sheath chain.jpg

After some riveting work (lulz) everything was attached and given a quick swipe with oil and/or wax!

26finished10.jpg 27finished7.jpg

30finished11.jpg  34finished3.jpg

35finished2.jpg 36upset corgo.jpg

Bonus pic of a very jealous corgi who was angry I wouldn't play with her while I took the pictures

It was a fun journey, with several firsts that I'm hoping I can improve upon during the next go around.  Thank you guys for wading through all that!

Edited by Jaron Martindale
  • Like 5

a 1000 year old seax that has survived to this day. Love the checking in the handle to show age and pleased you havent filled it. nice bit of file work and even the sheath shows an age that is belied by your asertion that it is freshly made.

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Thanks 1

Von Gruff

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

The ability to do comes with doing.

add resized.png

39 minutes ago, Garry Keown said:

a 1000 year old seax that has survived to this day. Love the checking in the handle to show age and pleased you havent filled it. nice bit of file work and even the sheath shows an age that is belied by your asertion that it is freshly made.

Thank you for the wonderful compliments:D