45 layers of hand hammered beauty

This is my most prized piece to date. I’m just 1 year into physically bladesmithing. I’ve been studying and reading for about 5 years. Minimal tools in my shop, no press or power hammers. A home built 2x72. Critique is  welcomed

CA5C9252-C9DC-4012-8803-C27093621556.jpeg

FADEA77C-9ABA-4859-B62F-F842F64D9808.jpeg

CDE8F77F-94B0-4758-82FE-EC4E8508207F.jpeg

• Like 6

I like the way your twist turns toward the tip in the leading 1/4 of the blade. If it was me I would radius the edges of the handle considerably more so the shape is more ovaloid rather than radius edged square. Much easier on the hand for prolonged use.

• Like 1

Von Gruff

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

The ability to do comes with doing.

add resized.png

Looks good to me. 

1 hour ago, Garry Keown said:

If it was me I would radius. . . easier on the hand for prolonged use

While this is true, the question I'd have before making any changes is, what's the intended use for this knife?  If it's to cut up steaks, then I wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

1 hour ago, Garry Keown said:

I like the way your twist turns toward the tip in the leading 1/4 of the blade. If it was me I would radius the edges of the handle considerably more so the shape is more ovaloid rather than radius edged square. Much easier on the hand for prolonged use.

Thanks I forge the blade shape knowing it would alter the twist pattern at the tip. Thanks for the feedback on the handle. It is surprisingly comfortable to use. Although I haven’t used it for more then 30-40 minutes at one time. 

I'm loving the medium count layer with a twist.  It would make a nice steak knife as it is.

Doug

• Like 1

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

It's a killer knife, Curtis. Great twist, and the pattern is bold too. Like said previously, good planning in the forging process to bring the pattern up to the tip. The handle looks wonderful too.

Great work! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...