This is my 4th knife. Thanks to the advice earlier in the build I finally finished my Sgian.  Blade is 1084. Bolsters are copper from my great grandfather soldering iron which I blacked (only partially successfully it left a bit of corrosion on the blade and may have another go) and peened the front to hide a multitude of sins. Handle is Australian Blackwood from my childhood property and a brass pin. Stone was found on my favorite stream.   

Now I have to work out a sheath.  

Thanks again, advice or hint aprechiated.

sgian front on (2).jpg

sgain side on (2).jpg

• Like 5

4th Knife ?   Not bad at all.  How did you attach the stone?  Just glue ?

Only thing I would say, is that the handle could have used a little contouring so it's less likely to slip in the hand in hard use.

Otherwise, I dig it.

Edited by Bruno

Thanks Bruno.   I guess that why they are carved, for grip.  Rear copper is a pipe and the stone is contour fit into the pipe from the inside (does that make sense) and epoxied.  

38 minutes ago, Matt Beitzel said:

Rear copper is a pipe and the stone is contour fit into the pipe from the inside (does that make sense) and epoxied.  

It does make sense, but by the look of it, it's only glued around a shallow (if that's the right word?)  part of the stone. So depending on the epoxy and the level of use, the stone will fall out eventually, most likely under any sort of impact.  Had you enveloped the copper around the wider part of the stone, it would be more secure.  In other words, had you set the stone deeper into the copper pipe, and wrapped the pipe around the thinner top part of the stone and epoxied, it probably would never move.  That's just my take on it.   Take it with a grain of salt as I've never used stone in a blade before and I tend to be really picky.  Maybe others can chime in with better info ?

Still, very nice for a 4th blade.

P.S.  That wood looks very similar to American Black Walnut.

Edited by Bruno
  • Like 1

That is very good for a 4th knife!  If your epoxy is good and you roughed up the stone where it contacts, you should be fine. B)  Well, don't use it as a hammer or anything and it should be good. :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks Allan. The stone is wider at the bottom that the pipe is at the top- so it only fits from the knife side.  I annealed the copper and then lightly peened it to fit the stone better before filling and sanding the outside of the copper to fit the knife. Hopefully with epoxy it will hold and being granitite it wont stand up to impact. Hence the light peening as I cracked the first stone and its the second handle too so plenty of mistakes :).