1st Annual Bowie's Memorial Hammer-In save the date

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Several southern accents, actually; you and Alex with your northern sounds will be vastly outnumbered by those of us speaking proper English. ;)

Sounds like the makings of a good debate over a beer or two!:P

Alex will have that Michigander Nadal twang, and we all know what you southern boys sound like.  Folks in my area, however, have no accent at all :lol:

• Haha 1

-Brian

Is anyone interested in a set of blanks for forging the slot punch and drift for forging hammer eyes?  As I buy in bulk,I get good prices on 4140. Thought I'd share the savings and the cost of shipping.  If so, I'll bring some down.  It's ¾ round and the drift is 5” and the punch is 6 1/2”. Price would be $5.  If you've got Mark Aspery's first book, the forging instructions are in there.

• 4 weeks later...

My heart wants to be there so badly, but I am currently scheduled to be out of the country that weekend. If that changes and the time frees up, I will be there.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

@Gerald Boggs, I’d be interested in one off each, material for forging slot punch and drift. Also any other rectangular 4140, 3/8” to 1/2” thick by 2” wide by 12” long. Or parts which add up to 12” approx.

Gary LT

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

I don't have any and I expect, but can check, the steel distributor doesn't carry it.  I get a good price on the round because of all the industries in Virginia, Foremost being the Norfolk naval yard and all the supporting business.    

Edited by Gerald Boggs

What's the weather like at that time of year? Lovely crisp Autumn I know, my favorite, what kind of temps we talking about though? Frosts? (early October here in Tallahassee and you are more likely still "sweating your nads off" as Randall Graham once put it, lol)

I recently had to ditch my 50+ year old canvas cabin tent so I'd be looking at replacing that if I wanted to go the camping route. Farmhouse doesn't have bathing facilities correct? (Not as big an issue if it's reliably cool/cold)

Guy Thomas

If the weather follows recent trends, early October will range from cool mornings ( lows in the 40s) and hot afternoons (highs in the 70s) to scorched-earth record heat, which for here at that time of year would be highs in the upper 80s.  No humidity to speak of, though, unlike Tallahassee. Always an off-chance of rainy overcast in the 60s as well.

Plans are for the shower house to be ready to go by the time of the hammer-in, but it's possible that may not happen, that's out of our control.  It's be great to see you again, it's been a while. B)

• Like 1

It has been a while, the last Sword Ashokan back in 2016, it would be good to see you again and meet a bunch of people for the first time! Weather sounds remarkably similar to what we experience, at least in the variability, lol. I could even handle the upper 80's without much problem but let's hope that doesn't happen. There's a bunch of good breweries there in Johnson City too I see! I'll just have to see how life in general shakes out in the upcoming months.

Friday would be pretty much just the usual arrival day right? Socializing in the afternoon/evening and all the main stuff on Saturday?

Guy Thomas

I just remembered a couple more local attractions someone might find interesting.

If you are into diving check out https://grayquarry.com

And if Paleontology is of interest see https://www.etmnh.org

Both like 15 min from the airport and around 20 minutes from the hammer-in. If you have family along that gets bored by what we will be doing.

14 hours ago, Guy Thomas said:

Friday would be pretty much just the usual arrival day right? Socializing in the afternoon/evening and all the main stuff on Saturday?

We have enough planned that we are actually thinking of having a couple of demos Friday after lunch, all day Saturday, and more on Sunday. Still finalizing the demonstrator list.  I'll post the schedule as soon as I can. 

Matt, I totally forgot about the Gray Fossil Site!  If you're bringing kids, or if you just like that sort of thing, it's a must-see.  What is it? Seven million years ago, it was a sinkhole with a lake in the bottom. Over the next two million years it filled up with animals that got stuck in the mud, then it collapsed. In 1999 it was found during road construction. At least five acres in area and 130 feet deep, it's solid fossils all the way down. The leaves still have color. It's pretty amazing. And the Hands-on discovery center next door is a children's museum that's very highly rated.

Regarding the fossil site: I already asked, and they are not interested in selling the mastodon ivory. ;)  Or the coprolites that have fossilized as pure iron oxide.  :lol:

• Haha 1

I have a deal that the first time I manage to leave the african continent, I'll go fishing on a remote jungle lake in Malaysia.

Then there's my Dutch friend that wants me to visit, but since we're not friends with benefits, I would rather use a second escape (if ever) to attend one of these hammer-ins.

• 4 weeks later...

The list of demonstrators and vendors slowly grows...

We've now got ABS Mastersmith Burt Foster to demonstrate, and have Ron Richerson selling supplies.  Speaking of selling, Mark Zelasky of Knife World Books, mentioned previously, will be bringing his tables worth of books to sell, among other things.  See here for a sample of what will be available: https://www.knifemagazine.com/product-category/books/  

Still working on other vendors, etc.

Remember if you're bringing a trailer that the covered bridge has a height limit of 11'6"!  It's not a long bridge, but you really don't want to end up in Buffalo Creek.

And we are pleased to announce that we have lined up https://www.blacksmithsupply.com/ as a vendor!  Take a look at their site and see if there's anything you'd like to save on shipping, I have an email in asking if they'd bring heavy stuff in person if you tell them you will be attending when you order.  Need a fly press or anvil?  Or bulky stuff, need a full roll of kaowool? They can bring it!

• Like 1

I found a few pretty affordable AirBnBs while looking for lodging. Some are just somebody's extra room or a little trailer or shack, but there are a few decent ones too for $60ish - $75ish per night, if folks aren't into camping and don't want to pay $120+ a night for housing. I'll be up in Johnson City proper, about a 10-minute drive from the venue. Just figured I'd mention it in case folks were still looking for beds.