New anvil

Dons

Interesting...  looks like a steel-faced wrought anvil, but the markings are not dates or serial numbers. The front-to-back cross section looks Swedish, which it could be.  The ledges on the feet might be a clue as well.  The lack of a handling hole under the horn is also Interesting. Looks nice and un-screwed-with.  Do keep it that way, at least until we figure out what it is.

Datewise, I would guess 1890-1915 if it's Swedish. I'll do some research tomorrow. 

Yes my Grandfather was a blacksmith, I remember heating steel ring tires and putting them back onto a repaired spoke wheel a few times that I stayed with him during summer back in mid 60’s I’m now 67 yr old and want to start a small hobby knife forge up.

Edited by Dons

Well, there's not a whole lot of info on Swedish anvils in the Tome (Anvils in America), and what info there is is somewhat contradictory, but I feel secure in saying that is indeed a Swedish anvil, probably solid cast steel, and dates between ca. 1900-1930.   The apparent separate faceplate is a trait of Soderfors anvils, as are the flats atop the feet. The single handling hole, however, is supposedly a sure indication it was made by SISCO (Swedish Iron and Steel Corporation).  Both companies also had bases that are either flat or have a capsule-shaped depression.  

The size and form of the stamped numerals for the weight look very much like Soderfors, based on the pictures I'm finding. Therefore, that's where I'm leaning.  

Regardless, all the Swedish anvils were top quality.  It's a good one, in other words.

Agreed. I did a lot of research on these unmarked Swedish anvils and there’s nothing out there that says otherwise. I think it’s a toss up between Soderfors and Kolswa but leaning more toward Soderfors. Look very closely and you will probably find made in Sweden stamped on it somewhere. Both companies made great anvils.

• 2 weeks later...