Farrier's Rasp for Dagger?

My wife wants me to try my hand at a dagger. The steel I have that isn't already earmarked for projects is either 1) crap, 2) air-hardening, or 3) farrier's rasps (Heller Excels to be exact). I am not opposed to buying new steel if I must, but I'm curious if anyone has made a dagger from a rasp. If so, what difficulties did you run into? I think I'm going to try and make it fully integral like I've seen someone do with other blade styles out of rasps. 

Never done a rasp. However a little search  showed that heller rasp can be finicky. Some are only case hardened. Old topic on another forum revealed problems.

Matthew  FYI. Just a heads up. Daggers can be illegal to own in several states. Not that it ever bothered me. 

32 minutes ago, vlegski said:

Never done a rasp. However a little search  showed that heller rasp can be finicky. Some are only case hardened. Old topic on another forum revealed problems.

Matthew  FYI. Just a heads up. Daggers can be illegal to own in several states. Not that it ever bothered me. 

Appreciate the info! The Heller rasp I recently used did take a quench okay (it wasn't perfect, but that's more likely on me or the oil I use than on the steel), and this one is likely the same batch. As far as legality, they're legal to own in my state, just not to concealed carry, though again I appreciate the warning!