3D printed forms in canisters

Francis Gastellu

Interesting, but it makes sense.  I've done a little bit of "Lost PLA" casting, and much to my surprise, the PLA models burned out with little to no ash.

Might have to give this a go :)

-Brian

I'm surprised that it came out as crisp as it did.  As the PLA burns out there is quite a gap for the powders on both sides to fill.  I imagine that the heating method/rate/schedule/whatever for the PLA burnout portion may be a bit important. You then also have a bit more empty space in the canister, so any movement of the can would be an opportunity to mix things up a bit.  Obviously, the thinner the PLA the less this is an issue.  Overall pretty cool stuff.  

Makes me wonder how long it will take for hot isostatic pressing (HIPping)  works its way into the hobby shop.  

1 hour ago, Jerrod Miller said:

As the PLA burns out there is quite a gap for the powders on both sides to fill

This was my thought as well. 

RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

That's pretty slick.  I haven't talked to Swartzer since a Hammer-in in 2006, but it's good to see he hasn't changed a bit.  I can see this becoming the de facto way to make fine mosaic damascus in the next few years.  Then I'll be all "You kids don't know what it was like back when we had to make the cells by hand out of nickel sheet! You have it too easy!" :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jerrod Miller said:

I'm surprised that it came out as crisp as it did.

Agreed. It looks like the example they show at 2:08 has been drawn out and the design shrunk significantly from the original form shown at 2:43, that would make it quite a bit crisper I imagine. This one is not quite as crisp, but still really cool:

HZtG7zh.png

1 hour ago, Francis Gastellu said:

It looks like the example they show at 2:08 has been drawn out and the design shrunk significantly from the original form shown at 2:43, that would make it quite a bit crisper I imagine.

Good point.  Just like Shrinky Dinks!  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

That's pretty slick.  I haven't talked to Swartzer since a Hammer-in in 2006, but it's good to see he hasn't changed a bit.  I can see this becoming the de facto way to make fine mosaic damascus in the next few years.  Then I'll be all "You kids don't know what it was like back when we had to make the cells by hand out of nickel sheet! You have it too easy!" :lol:

I watched (IIRC) Jason Knight interviewing him and he had a file with photos of his past work.  Interesting character, amazing work that defines what I consider to be mosaic damascus.......not that my opinion matters

Will Stelter had a couple good videos of him working with Steve Swartzer.

He appears to be an incredibly knowledgeable man that likes to share what he knows.

• Like 1

This has really caught my interest.  A buddy at work watched the video as well and we decided to put together a little test.  He printed a couple of forms to fit inside a stainless steel canoe.   I filled the inside of the letters with 1084 powder, and the rest of the canoe with 1080 w/ 2% nickel.  We'll see what happens.

20220304_121245.jpg

20220304_131913.jpg

• Like 6

Well, it worked.  Sort of.....

I didn't get full compression on the canoe before I cut it apart.  Unfortunately the text was in an area that didn't solidify all the way.  That being said, you can see the outlines of the letters after an etch if you catch it in the right light.