A Flower for my people.

1.jpg

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Made of Mild steel.  Pinned oak handle.  Deer and Couch hide for the leather.

10 points to anyone that can guess what the flanges are made of...

6.jpg

Edited by Bruno
  • Like 1

May the Ukraine be free for ever and confusion to her enemies.

Doug

• Thanks 1

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

On another forum I used to frequent somebody regularly posted photos from a Kiev knife show, many talented smiths in that country, I wish them much strength.

• Like 1

Might need to chat about your fit and finish :lol: but I like the concept and would sure hate to see that coming my way.

хай живе україно (I hope that is right, it’s Google Translate).

• Like 1

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Charles dP said:

Might need to chat about your fit and finish

Yeah,  not my cleanest work.  I'm calling it a prototype.   My forge is not exactly big enough for the whole thing with the flanges opened up.  Kind of had to rush the heats.   Really wish I had a coal supply for jobs like this.    Wanted to see if it could be done without using a welder, before I tried it with spring steel. 

Had an unfortunate incident on the side of the road the other day.  It was stupid and unnecessary.  Tried to walk away at first too.   The Golden Rule is a simple rule.  Wish people cared.  Or at least come to the conclusion that it's not worth starting something with a stranger that may have very different "Red Lines" than what they may be accustomed to.  

But fortunately, I got the opportunity to do some strength testing.   So I picked on an innocent rock.

Lemonade from lemons and all that...

I bent the handle at the top pretty good.    Need to make it thicker I think.  Maybe forgo any twisting.  Stayed true along the

length of the handle though.  No idea if the scales split or separated without undoing the leather.   Feels solid.

7.jpg

Having tested all sides,  the weld on one of the flanges came apart.   Flange is still there and solid, lol,  just slightly bent.

8.jpg

The Broken weld.   The grain structure looks decent to me.  Probably, just didn't have enough surface area where the weld was, or just a bad weld.   I did super quench the entire head.  Very little deformation on the flange edges against the rocks.   Took quite a bit of force to get

that flange to turn sideways like it did.

9.jpg

Overall.  Pleased with it's performance.  And learned a bunch for the next one once I get the forge built...

Here is one I built 10 years ago.   Still alive.  Just missing a couple flanges/rings and spikes now.  This one was made from leaf spring and Sucker rod.

Other_Mace.jpg

Edited by Bruno
  • Like 2