first new stuff in a while

Geoff Keyes

For reasons that I won't go into right now, I've had nothing to share.  But now I have some things.  

From time to time I dabble in jewelry, the cape closure is for the table, the buckle is for me.  It's going to get some little PW plaques for the belt.  It should look nice with the kilt as the weather warms up.

The knife is just one of a ton of pieces languishing on the bench.  No matter what I do, it looks like I'm trying to copy Jake Cleland to me.  I guess there is no shame in being influenced by another makers work.

The blade material is some cable that I got from Mike Bell after a class I did there a couple of years ago.  Welded (no twist) cut and 4 stacked.  The handle is an elk tine.

IMG_2345 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2350 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2351 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2356 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2359 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2362 (Medium).JPG

Thanks for looking

Geoff

• Like 7

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Good work on all of it.

I've got a bunch of antler tines similar to what you've used there, so there's a possibility I'll be copying you copying Jake B)

7 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

I guess there is no shame in being influenced by another makers work.

If it helps, I've been influenced by more than one piece of your work ;)

-Brian

I know the feelings, both being influenced and not having anything to show lately.  For what it's worth, I still see the Samuel Bell in that blade.  No shame there. B)  And I bet that cape closure goes fast.  

that is really good creativity on the closure. The cable blade looks good, too. I haven't seen cable much , lately. Matt Berry took some cable from me, and used it to make a serpent that ran down a blade. It was beautiful. Your blade does look a little like a dirk

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Geoff - I love the cape closure and would very much like to see a picture of the back side of it.  I may well have to be quite influenced by you on that one for my cloak before the next Ren-Faire.  

Jerrod, the back is just domed and left rough.  I used a commercial brooch pin.  I tried to make a blanket pin out of copper wire, but I didn't like in in the end.  Maybe a button shank style, if you were going to stitch it on, or some holes in the edge.  I also considered a hat pin style.  Or a single down facing hook.  I don't know how something like this would fasten in period.

I'm also thinking that the next one might need a bezel in copper or silver.

g

• Thanks 1

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver