NESM is looking to hire for their bladesmithing program

Jesse Lange

I hope this sort of post is allowed, if not please remove. 

The New England School of Metalwork is looking for someone to head up the bladesmithing program, and because I have gotten so much out of the classes that I have taken there, I've volunteered to help get the word out.

For those of you who are unaware of the New England School of Metalwork in New Auburn Maine, it school which has a welding program, a blacksmithing program, and a bladesmithing program. The bladesmithing program is ABS accredited, and classes are taught by local staff and visiting instructors (including some of the biggest names in the craft). The description from the site is: "The New England School of Metalwork is a full 501 C3 non-profit educational facility devoted to the promotion and strengthening of metalworking skills. Started in 2000 and located in Auburn, Maine, the concept of the school was developed by Maine Oxy, a local welding distributor and Dereck Glaser, a local artisan Metalsmith. After several years of individuals inquiring about welding skills and ornamental metalwork instruction the decision was made to build the school. We set to the task of designing and planning a dual purpose facility for Metalsmithing and Welding."

From my perspective, this is a great opportunity for someone who wants a good stable salary while also being able to do their own thing at the same time. Whoever steps into this role will have frequent exposure to some of the best smiths in the business (and their ideas) as they come through to teach classes. Being involved in the NESM is also a great way to get your name out there and raise your profile in the community. Check out the NESM site here: https://newenglandschoolofmetalwork.com/

The job description from Dereck is:

"The New England School of Metalwork is seeking a dedicated individual to join our team. A full time position and highly unique opportunity to grow, learn and expand while accessing many of the country’s top craftsman in a state of the art facility. Suitable individuals will have 3-5 years of focused bladesmithing experience and at least a basic understanding of general blacksmithing, a good working knowledge of social media and its management, some marketing skills, and potential instructional skill. Candidates should possess a keen level of dedication, organization, and initiative. You will be a part of an established nonprofit educational team that’s been growing for over 20 years. Potential for advancement and willing to train. Please forward current CV, resume and portfolio examples to dglaser@newenglandschoolofmetalwork.com, email for detailed prospectus of position."

1 hour ago, Jesse Lange said:

raise your profile in the community.

just have fun here :-)  Why is this of value, I've never made any money off of other blacksmiths, they're like poor people, mostly empty wallets