Church bell hammer

Aaron Gouge

I’m up in Central Ohio working on one of my brothers properties this week. He was looking at a roofing job. It was a very old church. In the bell tower he found a discarded bell hammer! I hope the arm is wrought iron. Any thoughts of what the hammer could be? Not going to be home till the weekend where I can do some experimenting.

As always, thanks!! 

C542DB3B-974E-41C7-B0AF-2EA93E94D0E9.jpeg

Edited by Aaron Gouge

I'd presume that the whole thing is wrought, if it's old enough, or mild steel.  There isn't any reason for it to be anything more than that.

G

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

The arm is probably wrought, but the head could be bronze, brass, lead, or cast iron, as well as wrought, ir even a very hard wood like lignum vitae.  Hit it with a file and see what color it is.  Bell founders did odd things to get the tone they wanted.

Thanks guys….I may have a file somewhere in my work trailer…actually my angle grinder is in the trailer. Maybe I will grind it clean to see what I can see!! 
       It’s not Lignum vita. I have never seen Lignum vita rust!! I love the smell of it being milled! I grew up around it in South America! That’s actually what I’m using for the handle on this knife! 

A3090E7D-1899-446E-891E-DA8F87078D19.jpeg