Standardized Knife Project....

Alright, so every once in a while I get requests for what we directly translated from Norwegian to English refer to as a "usage-knife". In other words - a daily beater, something that isn't too fancy to be used in daily life. And I've had to turn people down, because getting stuck making these simple knives - I'd never make any progress... So - I came up with the idea of making a "standard model" - with the only variance being handle material. I called it "Talguknifr" - which is the Old Norse form of the modern Norwegian word "tollekniv" - which derives from Old Norse "talgu" which kind of means just "general knife work" like cutting this and that...

And as such, an idea was born, a concept developed, and a proof of concept made.

Anyhow - here' the pics:

Talguknifr no 005-1.jpg

Talguknifr no 005-3.jpg

Talguknifr no 005-4.jpg

Talguknifr no 005-5.jpg

Talguknifr no 005-2.jpg

EDIT:

And here's the handles of knives no. 006, 007, and 008:

Talguknifr Handles-1.jpg

Talguknifr Handles-2.jpg

Talguknifr Handles-3.jpg

This is the simplest design I could think of. The idea was a knife that was damn near indestructible, hence the 5mm thick full-tang blade with handle epoxied and fastened with six bronze pins. Handle material is of course also stabilized as not to absorb any moisture or get warped due to humidity. 

the beveled edges of the wood scales creates a comfortable grip, and the finger-grove towards the front of the handle gives great support. The rough unpolished surface gives it a rough'n tought look, while having an aggressive pattern welded core steel out of farriers rasps and 15n20, clad in 15n20.

I even created a stamp for my maker's mark... :lol:

This is my attempt at practical but elegant design at an affordable price... "affordable" ofc. being highly relative...

Too bad the project is currently on hold though, pending peace in Ukraine. (Ukranian brother-in-law partner on this project...)

Sincerely,

Alveprins.

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 6

From your mouth to Gods ear.

Geoff

• Like 2

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

I like it a lot.  If you can produce that at a price point where folks would feel comfortable using it, than I think you have a winner.

5mm would be quite thick for something I would call an every-day knife. However knife laws may be different in your neck of the woods such that folks don't carry a knife on their belt every day.  Around my parts, we have the knife we wear to work (the office) and church, and then a beefier knife we wear on the weekends and camping :)

God's grace to your family in the Ukraine.  I can't even imagine what that must feel like.

• Like 1

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...