Hello everyone,

I have found an interesting hydraulic press, it is an old industrial unit and very different looking from the purpose built knifemaking machines.

My question is, does this look usable for forging? anyone have experience with this style of machine?

It is not cheap enough that I'll just buy it and find out<_<, but a lot more affordable than a new unit.

It is a 10 metric ton unit, with 4 inch cylinder and the seller claims that it will do 2.5 inches per second.

I think that would put it comparable with the small coal iron presses or other smaller home builds.

Naamloos.png

The specs look good, but I have concerns on how you will install dies on such a design. There's also nothing but the cylinder to withstand lateral movement.

It's just my 2cents observation...

10 tons M is on the low end, but better than a poke in the eye.  2.5 ips is pretty fast, so that's good.  The thing I'd be concerned about is the lack of guides for the top die.  I've got a 30 ton "H" frame and even that can twist the top die out of true.  So it's going to depend on what they want, and how much modification it will take to make it work.  OTOH, if it's cheap enough, you've got a working power unit that you wouldn't have to build.

Just my .02

Geoff

• Like 1

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver