Finished this beast up today. Curly maple and farriers rasp. Sculpted the handle mostly  with files. First time using the ameribrade I got last year, worth every cent. And the first time grinding 4 bevels, unfortunately I scuffed the blade a couple times and didn’t see it till I glued it all up. 

BB822A22-DE56-48E1-B428-0412A3699DE3.jpeg

9E67E9C2-D898-4BEC-8FEB-9668A53BA621.jpeg

3D313C45-AC76-4210-BEDF-FED858014244.jpeg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Nice one!  Those feel vicious, don't they?

Thanks Alan, they sure do!

I just had a MASSIVE maple tree dropped on my property I'm looking forward to making a few of these bad boys!! What was you main plan of attack for doing the contouring on it?

7 hours ago, Steve Elliott said:

I just had a MASSIVE maple tree dropped on my property I'm looking forward to making a few of these bad boys!! What was you main plan of attack for doing the contouring on it?

Honestly I didn’t really have any idea of how to shape it any If it. I just ground and filed the bevels of the main portion of the handle and cleaned up the transitions between the head/handle and handle/butt to match with the height of the handle bevels. If that makes any sense..

14 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

Honestly I didn’t really have any idea of how to shape it any If it. I just ground and filed the bevels of the main portion of the handle and cleaned up the transitions between the head/handle and handle/butt to match with the height of the handle bevels. If that makes any sense..

Dually Noted, I will be sure to tag you in mine when I do my build! I'm going to try a couple different techniques.

• Like 1

Chingachgook would be proud.

• Like 2