A little something...

Alveprins

On 10/30/2022 at 1:57 PM, Dick Sexstone said:

Yeah ,over the top……..

Thank you very much Sir. :)

I'm currently working on the surface-finish of the handle - before starting digging into the steel parts. Also need to create a pommel-nut of some sort...

Here's a little sneek-peek from yesterday as I clocked out for the evening. ;)

Potentia Handle.jpg

Have a nice almost-friday-again folks! :) 

• Like 4

Beautiful work.  Inspiring.  It's one thing to be able to forge the steel, quite another to finish with that level of detail.  Hope to get to that level myself one day.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

thought I'd share another little in-progress preview. Finally managed to complete the rear side of the guard, although I am waiting for final assembly before setting the stones... After those are set - there will be no oportunity to sand the surface again if I were to f up..:

Double_Edged_Knife_Guard_Rear.jpg

There's still allot of steel to engraved. Managed to start cutting the outlines for the borders that will go on that steel spacer marked "top". I now need to design the actual engravings that are to go inside those borders.... ^_^

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I've managed to get the two spacers finished. ^_^

Double_Edged_Knife_Assembly_Test2.jpg

I've now started setting stones in the guard. I finished the rear side yesterday (after taking the pic above), and will continue setting the last two rubies on the front side today.

Double_Edged_Knife_Guard_Stonesetting.jpg

In total there are now 8 0,03ct natural white diamonds as well as 8 natural red rubies in the blade and fittings.

After setting the two last stones today, I will proceed to designing and engraving border patterns that are to go on the long-sides of the handle. There's still allot of steel to be engraved... :lol:

And then I need to come up with some sort of design for the tang and pommel... I am considering putting  a little piece of steel between the handle and the pommel nut - which I am considering just peening down... I'll cross that bridge when I get there. (note to self: finish complete designs before starting work... :rolleyes:)

Have a wonderful week everyone! 

• Like 4

On 11/25/2022 at 4:09 PM, Dick Sexstone said:

Interesting clamp while working on the handle ….. could you show us a shot of that? Thanks

It is just a simple knifemaker's vise. :) I'll see if I can snap a pic of it one of these days. ;)

Very cool looking handle scales. Is that some sort of stabilized wood burl?

• Like 1

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

On 11/28/2022 at 8:23 AM, Alveprins said:

It is just a simple knifemaker's vise. :) I'll see if I can snap a pic of it one of these days. ;)

Here's a pic.

Since I have a tendency to start working on the blade, and then design the handle later - I had to make a fixture for the handle itself - since I didn't want to clamp down and put force on gold inlays and diamonds... :lol: So that is what you see sticking out of the vise. :)

IMG_20221129_060011_1.jpg

20 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Very cool looking handle scales. Is that some sort of stabilized wood burl?

Correct, stabilized Maple burl. :)

Thank you so much ….. I think the tools we use allow us to improve our chops…. Every bit as important as copping a design idea….standing on the shoulders of giants  and all that….

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful Yule holiday!

After working on the pommel nut for a total of 33 hours, I was today ready for a test-fit of the entire build. All the parts are now finished, and only the handle wood is in need of a slight polish and wax before final mounting.

The total amount of time put into this project is now approx. 421 hours.

Note that these images are taken with a mobile phone... There will be a separate thread on this knife when it is 100% finished - sheath and all - and studio pictures are done.

But for now - let me present a little preview of POTENTIA:

(it is snowing today, so some minor water droplets are present on blade and fittings.)

Potentia_Preview-1.jpg

Potentia_Preview-2.jpg

And now I return to my workshop to put the final touches on the handle before final assembly.

Sincerely,

Alveprins.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Alveprins said:

Note that these images are taken with a mobile phone...

Still, it's hard to beat that backdrop for that particular knife... a perfect fit to the snowy hills.

And again I say- excellent work. 421 hours is completely believable.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Don Abbott said:

Still, it's hard to beat that backdrop for that particular knife... a perfect fit to the snowy hills.

And again I say- excellent work. 421 hours is completely believable.

Funny you should mention backdrop... I was just opening my package containing my brand new black backdrop fabric for my photo-setup which I will build tomorrow. :D

As for time spent.. The knife itself is now essentially finished. I expect to put perhaps another 100 hours into the sheath. We'll see. Out to have it completely finished by the middle of Q1 2023. ^_^

• Like 2

A very impressive build, I am a bit envious of people who can spend so much time on a single knife, I tend to lose interest after a while, I've spent 60 hours on a knife and after that I was really looking forward to the next build.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 3:34 AM, Alveprins said:

The total amount of time put into this project is now approx. 421 hours.

I stopped count the hours a long time ago. 

Fantastic build and thank you for taking us along on the journey. It's a pleasure watching your work evolve.

• Like 1

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Wow…. I expect to hear a sound track as I’m looking at the pics…… Thanks .. Studio shots will be nice also…. To show off the workmanship….. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 3:59 PM, Dick Sexstone said:

Wow…. I expect to hear a sound track as I’m looking at the pics…… Thanks .. Studio shots will be nice also…. To show off the workmanship….. 

The studio pics are coming. I just built a new light-box and invested in some rather pricey backdrop, so this is going to be interesting... ^_^