hi, I would like to equip my small workshop with a small crane to use when I have to carry out heavy work some ideas thanks.

the ideal would be to build a mobile frame on wheels, with a useful height of three meters, a similar length and a maximum capacity of 2 tons, as a lifting device I would use a common chain hoist, what do you think?

AIG2394206.jpg

gantry11.pnggru a portale - gru a portale per imbarcazioni fatta in casa Crane10

gru da officina - costruire cavalletto gru per officina Crane-jpggantry crane.png

gru a portale - gru a portale per imbarcazioni fatta in casa Gantry11

nemo me impune lacessit, gutta cava lapidem

I tried to do something similar once.  I found that the commercially available frame I used was fine for lifting, but did not work well for trying to move the work piece to another location.  It was hard to roll, and tended to "Sway around" an alarming amount.

In hindsight, the frame I bought wasn't designed for the dynamic loading of rolling around.  YMMV with a better frame.

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...

renting a forklift or a suitable crane would cost at least 600 € uro per day, with a similar structure I keep it in a corner when I need it I hang a chain hoist for it and use it without renting forklifts or similar heavy machinery I only need it as a convenience you think I don't is suitable, maybe I find salvaged beams in carpentry workshops or large scrap shops, am I wrong?

gantry crane.png

carroponte - gru carroponti dispositivi di sollevamento P1010124

carroponte - gru carroponti dispositivi di sollevamento - Pagina 2 Portalovy-jerab-dilensky-3-2-t-s-retezovou-kockou-f87125cc-e93c-44c7-8955-efa171f8050b

carroponte - gru carroponti dispositivi di sollevamento - Pagina 2 118110

carroponte - gru carroponti dispositivi di sollevamento - Pagina 2 10206

carroponte - gru carroponti dispositivi di sollevamento - Pagina 2 Port__lov___je____b_se_st______kou_resize_800_600gantry crane frame hoyst.png

do you say these lifting structures have overturning and handling problems? I believe that the width of the base should be at least half of the height B 1/2 h, to avoid overturning, then there would be the problem of how to connect the columns and the legs to the crossbar, you have to distribute the total load on 3 and not on 4 legs. if I have not misunderstood
'
'

A frame gantry hoists are best suited to lifting and loading onto a truck or other means of conveyance like a four wheel dolly - not the best choice for moving stuff around but it can be done carefully.  Moving the weight to one side and strapping it to the frame can reduce the pendulum action but be mindful of the weight biased to one side.  Large castors for easy rolling are best but do forget about rolling it over rough surfaces.  I have ideas for building one myself.

Both gantry and jib cranes have advantages and disadvantages. With a mostly dirt floor this homemade jib set up has served me well. It'll pick up things from a truck and swing to my big welding table. Last big piece I handled was 1800 pounds 6.5" X 10.5" X over 7' into the bandsaw and positioned for cutting into blocks. I cut #9000 into blocks last year or so, and loaded them into trucks, SUVs, and even car trunks. Really a #600 into an Impala trunk. None were lifted by hand. The electric hoist is wonderful but over #1000 I have to use the manual one. The advantage is I don't need to keep the floor un-cluttered for wheels that wouldn't work for my situation anyway. The disadvantage is I can't reach the complete shop and the head room is a little low for tall items to clear my door opener. The older I get the more I appreciate the crane and I have remained hernia free! Always wanted to build a smaller one in the forge area for swinging work from the forge to the PH and press but it hasn't happened so far. The lights on the crane and the retractable extension cord on the end are handy as well. The red piece was scrounged, apparently it was once on a factory crane. The remainder I fabricated.

B2FD5A5E-F0F5-4C75-9DBE-68182C6A564C_4_5005_c.jpeg

90A1DCAF-5E22-470A-859D-276A106857F5_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Matt Walker
  • Like 2

look at 500 € uro of rental forklift plus 100 € uro transport to my workshop for a gantry crane they asked me for 5000 € uro with project and approved, even that I spend 800 € uro of material, I keep it in a corner when I need it I use it, it's a convenience instead of renting a forklift or a crane or a telehandler. I don't know if you know what I mean. I err ??

• Like 1

We built a similar frame a number of years ago at work, to permit handling, moving and transfer of three antique light fixtures. It worked well for that application, but keep in mind, the total weight of the fixture was in the range of 350-400 lbs. The frame was built from racking beams, with 4"x4"x1/4" wall square tubes at the base, and an electric hoist at the top. (Amusingly, under the nickel plating, the scrollwork proved to be really grainy wrought iron!)IMG_1273.JPG

On a smooth floor/with large enough casters, and with a load that's low to the ground, it may be doable, but you'll have to take substantial measures to prevent the load from swinging (say, tensioning cables from the load to the frame). If something in the 2 ton/tonne range goes bad, it could go really bad.

thanks for your valuable suggestions, clearly there must be enough space underneath to fit the body of a vehicle so the structure should be proportionate to the use of my small workshop, however nice idea to modify a scaffolding I think it is or the structure of a sturdy shelf , good very ingenious and creative.

medium.jpg

Gantry-Crane-Plans-1-to-2-1-2-Ton.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

gru a cavalletto.pngFSCN2095.JPG

in a forum I found this photo of a diy calallet crane what do you think, is it done well?

can I use it as an example to copy or is it badly done? thank you