3rd Kitchen knife, so I thought I'd put it out there for Critiques.  I've enjoyed doing all 3 Kitchen knives and have had a relatively good response to them locally so I'd like to improve them with your help and make some more.:D

I'd like to know what to improve on and what I should keep doing.

Personally: I like the shape, alignment of handle to blade, and I'm proud of the heel area.  I wish I had kept the handle a little thicker (its a little broomsticky towards the blade end..), the sanding on the brass bolster isn't even (yet. I'm working myself up to fix it), and I think the blade could be a bit thinner to shed some weight.

SPECS:

Steel: 80CrV2

Flat Grind

Handle: Orange Osage and Brass

8" Blade

6" Handle

15" OAL

2" at widest point

1/8" thick

8.6oz

Finished Pictures:

k-tip kitchen knife2.JPG k-tip kitchen knife1.JPG k-tip kitchen knife3.JPG

Some neat patterning on the blade...I think it's alloy banding?  I clayed the blade with a mix of steel fillings, dry pottery clay, and powdered charcoal (trying to follow Davej's recipe) and heat treated by eye in the coal forge.

k-tip alloy banding1.jpg k-tip alloy banding3.jpg k-tip alloy banding.jpg

Edited by Jaron Martindale
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

Nice. How did you get the Osage that dark. It takes a long time to age it naturally.

Thank You :)

I definitely can't take credit for the coloring, its all natural, lol!  After I shaped it I applied 3-4 coats of wax that's based in mineral oil and beeswax and this was the color that happened. :)  

Nice one.   The best way to judge your design is to put it to work. If you are interested, I have some Yew wood if you don't like the broomstick Osage.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Doug Webster said:

Nice one.   The best way to judge your design is to put it to work. If you are interested, I have some Yew wood if you don't like the broomstick Osage

Thank You! I did some test cutting with potatoes and spinach and it seemed to cut clean and ergonomically, but with expected food stick from a straight flat grind.  I’ve been tasked by the Wife to make a kitchen knife for us to have next so I’ll have a chance to do some extensive testing with that.:lol:

And I would ABSOLUTELY be interested in some Yew! I will send you a message.:D

It would be interesting to see the handle after it has had some time to oxidize.  Nice work.

Doug

• Like 1

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

On 4/17/2022 at 11:43 PM, Doug Lester said:

It would be interesting to see the handle after it has had some time to oxidize.  Nice work.

Doug

Thank you very much. :)

I'll be interested to see how the handle oxidizes too, especially in the kitchen environment.  I'm setting aside a block for the personal test knife, so I'll be sure to post pictures!