Milanese Sidesword

Eric Estlund

This one has a couple of hilt details inspired by a Nagroli piece from 1540, along with my own spin. The blade is 34.5", and the total mass is 1093g. The blade is a diamond cross section throughout, and the ricasso is left with a wide, rounded edge. The scabbard is a laminated core with sewn leather covering, ricasso guards and a steel chape.  More photos and details on my site.

IMG_20220420_192410128~2.jpg

IMG_20220420_192558581~2.jpg

IMG_20220420_192417937~2.jpg

Edited by Eric Estlund
  • Like 8

You do good work on these early developed hilts (and everything else!).  Have you done a full swept hilt rapier yet?  I certainly haven't, just asking. :)

Thanks! Not really. Back many years ago I made some hilts for schlager blades for fencing. They worked, but I'm a much better fabricator now :rolleyes:

I have a bit of material that I need to test (from the Admiral order with bogus alloys). When I pull off a developed rapier blade I look forward to doing some, though!

• Like 1

the details of the fit with the scabbard and hilt are really lovely. Good work. 

• Like 1

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs