Even a blind pig can find an acorn every now and then

I've never been terribly successful as a mushroom hunter, but we found a few last night.  Took this shot for a lark, and thought it turned out well enough to share on a knife forum B)

mushroom.JPG

• Like 6

-Brian

I took my son out for a walk yesterday, on a path we walk fairly often.  Found what I thought was my first morel.  Turns out is was indeed a morel.  And we ended up with just over 3 pounds of them.  It was a good day.  

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

...we ended up with just over 3 pounds of them.

Let me extend to you a hearty "You suck" :P

• Haha 3

-Brian

My first:

Open photo

The final haul:  

No description available.

Range finder from my front door says this spot is about 520 yards from home (as the Nazgul flies), but more like a 650-700 yard walk.  We have a few more places we will be checking this weekend.  

• Like 2

That's a good haul.  The black type usually comes up last in the season around my corner of the world which is interesting since you are at a  much higher latitude.  Folks in the midwest that far north probably aren't finding at all them yet.  I knew the ocean kept you guys "warm", and assume that is the difference.  Pretty cool :)

-Brian

I have a five-year-old grandson and his daddy has trained him well as a mushroom hunter. He knows way more than I do.

I call him our truffle pig.

Truffle hunting pigs

That is indeed a haul!  I only ever find one or two on my property, and the box turtles and possums usually find them before I do.  

They are excellent sautéed in butter, but don't mix them with wine, either in the pan or in a glass.  The combination of morels and wine is kind of poisonous to some people.  I didn't know that until I made a big batch of morels in cream sauce over linguine with a glass of white wine several years ago.  

• Like 1
On 4/28/2022 at 9:48 PM, Alan Longmire said:

That is indeed a haul!  I only ever find one or two on my property, and the box turtles and possums usually find them before I do.  

They are excellent sautéed in butter, but don't mix them with wine, either in the pan or in a glass.  The combination of morels and wine is kind of poisonous to some people.  I didn't know that until I made a big batch of morels in cream sauce over linguine with a glass of white wine several years ago.  

Not come across that before Alan. What happened?

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

1 hour ago, Charles dP said:

Not come across that before Alan. What happened?

Really bad cramps and general barfiness. I looked to see if that was a known thing, and yep, it is.  Just morels and shitake, none of the other edible ones I've had.

• Thanks 1
On 4/28/2022 at 1:48 PM, Alan Longmire said:

They are excellent sautéed in butter

They absolutely are, we used to hunt them as well as puff balls and cauliflower mushrooms when I was a kid in central Oregon.  If you get some large morels they are also excellent stuffed with crab and baked.