New (to me) brand of lump charcoal

I wasn't sure where to put this, or if it would be of interest to many, but I bought a bag of lump charcoal from a supplier I had not seen before in my area.  I am used to lump charcoal being broken up into pieces smaller than a tennis ball, and being fairly light weight.

This stuff was extremely dense, and the pieces were huge.  Some of them were 3-4" in diameter and 10"+ long.  I actually had to chop it up to use it effectively in my kettle grill last night.  I was a little surprised that it was still burning 3 hours after I was done cooking.

I don't do anything with charcoal other than cook, so I don't know if it would be useful to those of you who forge or smelt with it.

PXL_20220501_215433352.jpg

-Brian

Posted (edited)

I think that is all hardwood from Australia and Brazil it is really really good stuff!!! I looked up the wood types but I cant remember now. It says it on the back of the bag...I think.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Of course, if you want to smelt with it you have to chop it into one-inch cubes.  Dense often equals sparky when blown, which is one reason we don't smelt with mesquite unless it's all we have.  Them again, pine is pretty sparky and it's good for making iron...

These are the Types of Wood: Guayacan, Guayaibi, Quebracho Blanco

• Thanks 1