A few months ago I started a project to try and make dishwasher resistant knives and it ended up being a really interesting way to explore the different handle options that are out there. One thing I ended up getting into was resin casting, which I had a bit of experience with, but no real proficiency. I ended up making three "models" of handle; a small one for paring/ultra-lightweight camp knives (think bird and trout), a large one for chef knives, and one with more finger protection for fillet/bonding knives (though that last one I still need to iron some kinks out of). You can see my process at the original thread here:

And here are some of the ones I have actually finished:

IMG_2161.jpg

I just wrapped this batch up today (not the best lighting, but I was in a bit of a rush to get a few of these out of the shop). All are AEB-L with epoxy handles. The green one has silicone overmolded for grip.

IMG_2166.jpgIMG_2163.jpg

A bigger picture of my two successful "patterns"; the left is a 10" chef, the right is a small paring knife. Both are colored with mica powder, the paring knife is my attempt to incompletely mix two colors together before pouring. This works better with a bigger handle. I've had better luck with complete mixes. I really like "Victorinox red" for some reason and aimed for it by mixing red and black, but it still came out a bit bright. Both of the green handles were made with this approach from a very bright green mixed with dark grey, with better results.

IMG_2171.jpgIMG_2170.jpg

A detail view of some of the effects you can get with mica. Like I said, the mixing works a bit better on larger pours. These are both buffed, I've found that the sanded finish can look pretty dull, since nothing goes on top of it to add luster.

IMG_1786.jpgIMG_1768(1).JPG

I don't know if I'll be able to really sell these but being able to turn them out in so many different looks and pretty quickly they make great gifts! The left two are for the two people who introduced me to resin casting. The red one was a gift for a family friend and the green one is my own trout knife. It works well, is incredibly light, and if I'm cleaning fish at home, it can be tossed in the dishwasher.

It takes some patience to get into, but this has been a very rewarding thing to learn about. Thanks for looking!

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_1751.JPG

• Like 7

These are looking great Aiden. I have to admit I was quite skeptical of the idea at first, but you may have tapped into a niche market to be exploited.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

don't know if I'll be able to really sell these but being able to turn them out in so many different looks and pretty quickly they make great gifts!

Why do you doubt?

I enjoyed following your process, but I do admit they leave me with mixed feeling simply due to the similarity to a production knife.
My 2c, it would have to be above average in function and/or toughness, or above average pretty for it to "work"

.......and I feel silly for even saying the above because its amazing work B)

I think they're great!  Finally a hand made knife that can face a dishwasher.  Good job!

Yep, those are turning out good.

I'll admit that this isn't a direction I believed would bear fruit when you started, but you proved me wrong.  I appreciate you sharing the learning experience as you went.

-Brian