Posted (edited)

Good morning,

Ill preface with the fact that I am very new to forging and have next to no idea what I am doing. I spent some time looking for the answer to my question on the site before I posted this but if it exists, I did not find it. I was given what seems to be a very nice Propane forge by a close friend when he heard that I was trying to get a new hobby now that I was out of school and had some free time and was looking at forging. I am learning about the forge through trial and error. Located on the gas line is a magnetic solenoid valve, it looks like its a K3A model. When under pressure this valve leaks around a metal ring that is supposed to act like an O-ring. I tried for quite a while to get it into a position that would stop the gas leak to no avail. I'm wondering if this valve is actually necessary or if I could replace it with just a ball valve. I am worried about some unforeseen problems that could come with removing a component of a system I'm this uneducated on.

Thanks for the time folks I really appreciate it,

Jake  

20220426_080855.jpg

20220324_171811.jpg

20220426_081143.jpg

Edited by Jake Cole
Added pictures

You could probably replace it with a ball valve, it's just there as a safety device. That said, I have never seen a forge built like that, can we have pics of the whole thing?

Also, this goes in Tools and Toolmaking.

As Alan indicated, this appears to be a safety valve.  Typically these are only required for forced air gas trains (ones that use fans, blowers or compressed air to mix with the gas), and not for naturally aspirated burners ("ventauri" burners).  From the photos it is hard to tell whether your unit has such blower, or needs one.  However, the device upstream of the solenoid valve may be a zero pressure regulator, which is designed to meter the gas flowrate based on associated air pressure.

Are you sure this is a propane forge, not a natural gas forge?  Does it already have a blower or fan?  Does the burner currently light?

On 5/10/2022 at 7:46 AM, Alan Longmire said:

You could probably replace it with a ball valve, it's just there as a safety device. That said, I have never seen a forge built like that, can we have pics of the whole thing?

Also, this goes in Tools and Toolmaking.

Alright thank you. I'll grab some pictures and make a new post. I'll get those on as soon as I can get back on. Copy on the tools and toolmaking also, I apologize for that.

Edited by Jake Cole
clarification
12 hours ago, Dan Hertzson said:

Always interests me when people post a question, then not only don't respond to feedback, but don't even visit to see if there is feedback.

Always interests me how some people have developed that virtue of patience and others have not. Was away from my computer for work, but I apologize if my work does not fit into your schedule 3rd shift tends to do that.

• Like 1