Glued this together last night. This is a fairly faithful interpretation of what an authentic early 18th century sgian dubh might have looked like, though it's not a direct copy, more an amalgam of 3 originals. The steel is 1075+Cr, 3mm thick and 3 1/2" long, which I normalised 3x at descending heats and cycled a few times just around critical to drop the hardenability. The handle is elm, with simple basketweave carving, stained and given a single coat of finishing oil. The sheath is less authentic, as it will be used for hunting, so I added a belt loop and reinforced it with rivets. The second pic shown the proportions better...

hunting sgian 10.jpg

hunting sgian 11.jpg

Let me know what you think...

• Like 7

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

Awesome, I love it. Great work. Also, good to know you used elm, I just grabbed a bunch from my neighbor who cut some down and I have re-sawn it on the bandsaw, it will be ready by end end of the summer as hot as it gets in the garage. I was not sure how it would work for a handle. 

I really like your handle and leather work. I also like the single well placed pin. Thank you for sharing. 

A simple basket weave carving!!  That's so fantastic.  I can't get over how you do simple.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

31 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Nice!  How was the elm to carve?  

It's not great. It's a bit soft, but also abrasive. For this kind of thing it's fine, but once you get into detailed work it gets muddy fast. It's best to stick to box and ebony, maples/sycamore, and walnut. I've also heard good things about fruit woods and lime/bass/linden, but have never tried them

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

Thanks.  I knew it was fibrous and ornery.  Looks great here, though, and it is very resistant to splitting and checking.