Cannabis Damascus chefs knife

49A0C9EB-CB82-4A0B-8DE4-7B220A341F87.jpegCDCD11D6-7E8C-433D-805A-FADFE8DABD98.jpegCannabis Damascus chefs knife…….8 & 1/2 inch blade . 3/32 inch thick . 15n20 leaves in a W2 background.

I started working on this vision long ago . I finally finished it. 

• Like 5

That's pretty cool. Cannister?

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Thank you for the nod Alan… I’m doing good thank you …. Good to see you are still here… 

and Thank you Josh also…. Yes it was welded in a can ….solid stock was used not powder

9520B2E0-AA0B-4A0E-A1BB-31173AEFDF02.jpeg5CAD9169-C558-485E-BC2F-ED60821D1DFD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to find the name of the smith who inspired me down this path... At the Ashokan seminar in 2010 Dave Martell gave a talk on chefs knives...I'm pretty sure Dave is who I'm thinking about....perhaps someone else can confirm that for me... Dave's lecture had an obvious observation that rang a bell in my head.... I am paraphrasing his opinion ...it went something like this.... " all you guys with the fancy folders and swords that are out to make beautiful blades... then he posed the question how many people are out there who need and have a use for your knife and also like your work...and out of them how many can afford to buy one? Then he asked So how many people out need a kitchen knife? I saw a lot of heads nodding in agreement..... the lowly chefs knife which I and many others dismiss as not worthy of our attention....His words struck home and echoed in my head driving all the way back to Vermont... I was home a very short time before I stuck up a conversation with a Musician/Chef.... I quickly found myself admitting I could make him a chefs knife...Just like that!!!!!!! My attitude has been adjusted .... ha ha ha Thank you Dave Martell this was twelve years ago.... I made the made the chefs knife for Scott and then got the vision to make a chefs knife for myself for fun and the challenge of it.... 12 years has evaporated since... first was the concept .... I wanted to have cannabis leaves running along the back and edge of the blade.... I having a hard time finding the original drawing.... I will continue when i find it...

• Like 1

I think the reason more of us don't make chef's knives isn't that they're beneath us, it's that a GOOD one is darned hard to make! :lol:  And then there's the bit about convincing the customer that patina is a good thing, and don't leave it in a wet sink covered in lemon juice, don't put it in the dishwasher, etc....  

There's plenty of market for kitchen knives though. Well, at least in my country...

My kitchen blades usually gets sold within the first day. They are mostly in the 500-700$ range. 

And I have to agree with Alan about all the warnings that need to be done about carbon steel. It's the annoying part. 

Anyways, that's a cool idea for a blade you had there. If you ever need pointers about geometry or anything, just hook me up. I'm no expert, but I believe I know enough to make decent tools. 

Edited by Joël Mercier

I found a pic of Dave Martell at Ashokan in my photos Im stumped as to how to show them... on a tablet is see photos... on a desktop that I'm on now I don't see any photos... I can drag a photo on to this but all that shows is text not the photo... I can read it has to come from a URL? I wait for help.... i'm sure it is simple to do if you know how...ha ha ha yeah carbon steel...Biodegradable too.... I have never been able to weld stainless in a coal forge...

@Dick Sexstone you win this round, that is a very cool knife! B)

I started making cleavers and kitchen knives for the very reason I wanted people to use my knives, cleavers do well but people don't understand how much better my noob efforts are just because of the crap steel used in the knives you buy in the same store as your groceries, so it's difficult to get a reasonable price for a chef/kitchen knife.

This point almost managed to steal my joy in the making, so I want to finish a few orders and then focus on folders and some silly stuff like I made in the beginning - beeeeeeeg knives and thinks that will keeeeeel :lol:

Art work like yours, everybody and anybody would want it, just a matter of the first one that has the $

4 hours ago, Dick Sexstone said:

I found a pic of Dave Martell at Ashokan in my photos Im stumped as to how to show them... on a tablet is see photos... on a desktop that I'm on now I don't see any photos... I can drag a photo on to this but all that shows is text not the photo... I can read it has to come from a URL? I wait for help.... i'm sure it is simple to do if you know how...ha ha ha yeah carbon steel...Biodegradable too.... I have never been able to weld stainless in a coal forge...

If you want to add photos to a post, you have to edit the post. Click those three dots in the upper right corner of the post and choose edit from the drop-down menu.

Capture.JPG

You should then see a blue bar across the bottom of the post where you can drag and drop photos into the post.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

I don’t have a clue why my laptop doesn’t connect to the forum ..I will use my tablet instead…

I’ll skip the photo of Dave Martell….He has a good website if you are interested….

To continue my thoughts… I wanted to have cannabis leaves running along the back and edge of the blade….

I make no claim to have invented this method…it was done hundreds of years ago …And todays giants that I learned from and whose shoulders I stand on are Daryl Meyer, Phil Baldwin ,Dan Margani ,Don Fogg  all the Ashokan smiths, Including Kevin Cashin, Rick Furerr, Tim Zowanda. And too many to mention on this forum…I apologize for spelling your names wrong…

this drawing shows how the pattern is created….the 9 squares within the billet could be any combination of layers or solid ….as an example the solid parts could be layers of damascus and the leaf could be a Sun , or moon ect…..let your imagination work…

in reality this bar is forged square and so the shapes are altered but they will be in the same position ….for the purpose of simplicity the drawing shows the bar still round….

114CD938-3060-4E2B-9FC3-C2DF7AEC738C.jpeg
this drawing is how the cannabis leaves were laid out….there are 14 elements that form the billet..they all need to be forged and ground to shape ….Note* where the leaf is located in the billet …this drawing and the one below describe a critical step…. Notice how the leaf is weighted towards the top of the billet…. And then the orientation of the billet in the 9 parts as in the drawing below…

0DE49511-B419-4994-887B-757E94F239BA.jpeg

this drawing shows where the pattern is located within the billet….note* this is a critical step …. Obviously over time the leaves will get ground away as the knife is sharpened if they wind up near the edge….
3A6B6BB1-FDC5-48DB-9809-6EA72F4FEB63.jpeg

• Like 2