Just starting, need a bit of info please

Posted (edited)

Hey Bladesmith's, new here. I have always wanted to get into bladesmithing but have never had the opportunity to until now since I purchased a house.  I have managed to pickup alot of basic tools and stuff here in there in the never-ending battle of being a home owner.  I have a few questions and need some help starting out. I have decided I would like to built as much as possible on my own (tools, forge, etc) 

One thing I am stuck on is the belt grinder. I have a delta 6inch stone bench grinder and am wondering if it is strong enough to build my a belt grinder. I also considered buying this https://www.trick-tools.com/Multitool_2_x_48_inch_Belt_Grinder_Attachment_MT482_307
I'm not sure if it will have the power or not. I attached a photo of the specs for my bench grinder, if anyone can give me there thoughts on newb belt grinders or suggestions of affordable ones that will be good for a starting bladesmith that would be great.

My next question is the anvil. I inherited this old Wilkinsons dudley from my grandfather. It has sat out in the weather for god knows how many years. I don't know if it was worth saving, but I attempted to clean it up. After removing all the rust I can see its got some significant cracking on its sides and maybe some delamination problems. Will I have trouble using it to forge on? should I try and find a replacement before starting? I have a new Lincoln AC 220 stick welder I have considered using in attempt to repair the damage. if pics included below.

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions, I feel as soon as I make up my mind on what type of forge or whether I want to build in my garage or out in my yard I change my mind. Any tips, suggestions, or ideas are much appreciated!

anvil 1.jpg

Grinder.jpg

anvil 2.jpg

Edited by Chase Hayner

Welcome!  Can you reformat the photos to .jpg?  The forum, my phone, and my computer can't read .heic files.  Further evil from Apple. :lol:

As for the grinder, look around, there's lots of information here. The Delta you have isn't strong enough to run belts.  Save your money for better.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Welcome!  Can you reformat the photos to .jpg?  The forum, my phone, and my computer can't read .heic files.  Further evil from Apple. :lol:

As for the grinder, look around, there's lots of information here. The Delta you have isn't strong enough to run belts.  Save your money for better.

Thanks Alan, I redid the pictures. I'll keep my eye out for a new grinder, in the meantime I have been pondering making my own and buying a 2hp motor. and I can't agree more. I hate apple but the ol lady insist we use Iphones haha.

Boy, you sure polished that anvil up! When it was new only the face was shiny.  Anyway: I suspect the line is the weld line between the steel face and wrought iron body.  As long as it rings and doesn't rattle or buzz when hit with a hammer it's fine. DO NOT use an arc welder on it.  That's the second-fastest way to destroy one of these older anvils.  The number one cause of anvil death is taking it to a machine shop to get the face flattened.  On these old ones (and that one was made between 1840-1860) the face is a very shallow-hardening steel. The maximum depth of hardness from the surface is around 1/16-1/8 inch thick.  If that gets milled off, you have a dead anvil. It's the hard steel that gives it bounce.  

Luckily, an angle grinder doesn't tend to remove too much.  So yeah, as long as it rings and bounces a hammer, it's good to go.  You don't need or want sharp edges, and if you do want one a little sharper than that anvil offers, just make a block that fits in the hardy hole with the edge radius you want for a given task.  

RE: Apple evil, my wife insists on having one too.  And then gets mad when it won't do half the stuff my Android can do. :lol:  The state agency I work for issues iPhones for some reason known only to them, probably because they are not user-modifiable.  The new batch that came set to default save photos in .heic format have been a huge headache, because that format doesn't work with ANY of our other systems.  There were a lot of repeated field trips to get usable pics until someone figured out they had to change the default setting to .jpg.  

Hi Chase, well I was going to recommend the Grizzly 2"x72" grinder as it used to be the standard entry level grinder for many, however (and holy smokes) it no longer appears to be the affordable option it used to be years ago as it seems to be running near $800 or more with near $200 in shipping. Considering it's has a number of inherent limitations for our uses I believe that money would be better spent on a home build or saving up for one of the quality 2"x72" grinders of more specific use to bladesmiths. You can keep an eye out for used, which is how I got my grinder. Bear in mind grinders create a lot of very hazardous very fine particulate airborne dust so keep in mind ventilation, air filtration and contamination of adjacent areas in your choice of grinding locations. In my case I no longer do much grinding with my 2"x72" in my shop which is my attached garage/laundry room and have considered a mobile base/platform to allow me to wheel it outside. Don't stint on good personal breathing filtration too! Bear in mind lot of very good work can be done with just forging, files, scrapers, stones and hand finishing (just more slowly and at a greater labor cost, lol).

Guy Thomas

And nice anvil, very similar to my inherited anvil and like Alan said you don't need to do anything else to it but use it! What's the weight?

Guy Thomas

Thanks guy, ill have to weigh it when I get home, I made a separate forum post for my belt grinder build, Thank you for the suggestion. Allan, I originally intended on only cleaning up the head of the anvil but wanted to see the extent of the damage throughout. Thanks for the info, Im gonna try and find a ball to see how well it bounces back but it sings pretty damn loud =D I stuck a few big magnets on the tail of it and intend to wrap some chains to the base.

You wouldn't happen to have any idea how old she is do you? I hear your the resident anvil expert around here haha.