So I've been working on this little blacksmiths knife for a couple days (I only get about an hour a day max) and so far I love making them. Few things I'd do differently is make the blade about 20% bigger so it's more proportional. I would also move the twist up the handle by about 2". I will definitely take this one all the way but I'll likely keep it for myself. Steel=mystery steel, likely 8670 as its from an old (40yrs +) Allen wrench. The sheath on completion will be kydex. Any constructive criticism is welcome!

20220531_213102.jpg

20220531_205922.jpg

20220531_213132.jpg

Steve,

I think the proportion of handle to blade is within bounds … I think what it is intended to be used for drives the decision of the blade size…. Next time either file or forge a chamfer on the edges of the handle….those sharp corners look nicely forged…but will be hard on the hand gripping it….

Nice job….especially only an hour at a time…. It is hard to pick up where you left off in little pieces of time …you did a good job following thru to the end….

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Dick Sexstone said:

Steve,

I think the proportion of handle to blade is within bounds … I think what it is intended to be used for drives the decision of the blade size…. Next time either file or forge a chamfer on the edges of the handle….those sharp corners look nicely forged…but will be hard on the hand gripping it….

Nice job….especially only an hour at a time…. It is hard to pick up where you left off in little pieces of time …you did a good job following thru to the end….

Thank You! I will be knocking the edges off of the handle it is a little harsh on the hands. Also you are correct, doing this one hour at a time is very difficult but I am learning very well what it means to be efficient with your time. I will definitely be editing this post with finished products of this knife!

Edited by Steve Elliott