Well I knew it would be a drawn out process but my build is getting there.  I fired the burner for the first time last night.  The bell reducer won't be used in the forge.  No tuning was done yet as I assume it will burn different in the forge.  

https://youtu.be/7AJR0o5Dy8k

My burner doesn’t even run outside the forge but runs beautifully inside.

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

On 7/20/2022 at 7:08 AM, Tim Cook said:

This forge looks very similar to the one I built/use.  I posted mine on this site just like u did.  If you are going to be doing forge welding I would recommend making the firebox conical so flux will drain out and using bubble alumina in the bottom just up from the brick on both sides.  Flux is fairly caustic will eat into a lot of materials.  I used it on mine and the floor hasn't needed a single repair yet. 

I would also recommend a pyrometer.  I used one in mine since I don't see color well and it has been very useful.  With 3 burners and that much insulation you might have a tendency towards overheating.  I just recently had issues with that while making canister damascus.  Turns out just 200 degrees made a big difference.  I will say this, your forge looks like its coming along nicely!

Do you use a contact pyrometer or infrared?

IR.  I put the probe in the center(ish) of the forge, the contact has to be touching something.  And the inside of forges (at least mine) will vary in temp depending on where u touch it.  That is why I put mine in the center.  

Posted (edited)

My forge build took back burner for a while.  I had a rush order for a knife.  This one has a white oak handle, a stone washed 1095 blade and the first mosaic pin I ever made.  The owner is also a horse lover so I made a display stand using a horse shoe.  Back to my forge build now. 

20220729_190711.jpg20220729_190634.jpg

Edited by MLeonard
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got the forge liner done and hopefully cured correctly.  Maybe not the best video but here it is with 2 burner lit.  Thanks for all the help given here.

Edited by MLeonard
  • Like 1