Puukko Knife

I made this knife for a friend of my uncle's. It's from a saw blade so I think its 15N20 (correct me if I'm wrong) or something like that. It has a brass guard and antler and cocobolo handle. The blade is hidden tang and goes almost all the way through. Any criteques on the knife or suggestions for a sheath? 

Resized_20220729_214723.jpg

Resized952022072995214146.jpg

• Like 1

Overall it looks nice! Not a super traditional design, but I like it. The hable shaping also looks very controlled and deliberate. One thing I would say is that generally handles with a knob like that are either the same general width/thickness the whole way from the blade to the start of the knob, or have a swell in middle with the blade end being the narrowest part. You can’t do too much about that, though it you wanted, you could cut away from the handle on the edge side to form a pseudo-guard if you want to maintain those proportions, or you could leave it if it feels good to hold as is. 

One thing is that it looks like it has a pretty low grind as well as a secondary bevel. Without knowing the thickness I can’t tell the geometry for sure, but generally these blades have either a zero “scandi” grind (on older examples this was likely slightly convex, especially by the edge) or a very small micro bevel. You said it was a saw blade, so it’s probably thin, but if not, it might not be quite as keen as

these knives usually are.

As for a sheath, puukko sheaths are often made with a wooden blade liner with leather (wet) formed by to have a seam along the one side of the knife. There are a lot of great tutorials out there for sheaths like this. They are a bit different to make than a pouch style sheath but I like making them and they work very well for knives without guards, giving a very tight fit with added protection from the wooden insert. 

Thanks for the advice! It is much appreciated. The blade is a little under 1/8 inch thick so I think it's ok. It holds a razor edge. How difficult is it to decorate the handle as far as scrimshawing goes?

If it cuts how you want then the geometry should be good! For a grind height like that with 1/8” stock you can get away with no secondary bevel (IIRC Mora knives are ~3/32” with a zero grind a bit less than that high). A secondary bevel adds some strength, I would just make sure it does what it will be used for well. The main reason I say this is that for my own whittling knives I love high zero grinds. 

For the carvings, it’s pretty difficult, but I’m not the best person since I haven’t done too much, and have only used it on finished pieces to decorate flat surfaces for jewelry, etc because I still struggle with it. I would suggest making a test piece to see if you want to pursue it, if you are good at drawing you would have a leg up from where I started for sure. @Adam Weller is someone here who has done some very cool carvings on knives like this which I would definitely recommend taking a look at. 

3 hours ago, Emery White said:

Thanks for the advice! It is much appreciated. The blade is a little under 1/8 inch thick so I think it's ok. It holds a razor edge. How difficult is it to decorate the handle as far as scrimshawing goes?

Is this what you are looking for?

• Like 1

Nice knife! Thanks for the mention @Aiden CC.

The engraving has a really steep learning curve, and the more of a perfectionist you are the harder it is. There are some guys out there that make this stuff look like it was cut by a laser. I am not one of those guys, but I think I can do ok. 

My process is pretty simple. I draw the design, use some kind of art fixative to keep it on the surface, and then carve it with a really sharp skew chisel ( i just made my tools). You want to carve a “V’ shaped cut from one side then from the other. When you make the second cut you get a curly tail that comes out of the groove. Sometimes it helps to moisten the antler somewhat with a wet paper towel for a few minutes before carving. Then I rub an oil based artist paint in the cengraving. I think the more traditional way to do it was dark wood/bark dust mixed in lard. I’m not very traditional (either in knife designs or engraving designs).

Do lots of test pieces before you do the knife!

Here’s a photo dump of some of my stuff:

149E535F-A018-404B-BD9E-C828725A6FA3.jpeg

9D165254-D330-461F-AAE8-97CD00554F47.jpeg

F5E7DCB2-C29B-4B12-85BC-903C1425D851.jpeg

E150059A-96C2-4B08-ABD2-75AA74DF638F.jpeg

7B969B72-4827-42FA-BB09-AB22CE75901A.jpeg

7DE4517D-AAEA-486B-91E0-14C525032271.jpeg

A5CAF699-112C-4D04-8006-D70218BD610D.jpeg

27FE38BB-22DE-47EE-AC1E-D0BC52532F0A.jpeg

3427DE86-C6CA-4B7D-9664-451EA38DDFD8.jpeg

64620D03-D2E4-464B-A9DD-6C5799F33D8F.jpeg

4DF28929-B11D-45ED-9CFE-0C1D398C4D1A.jpeg