Commission Request from a fellow (Inactive) Bladesmith / Knifemaker. A custom dagger / letter opener I designed 8 years ago as a teenager but never had the skill to make.

(Please let me know if this post isn't appropriate)

Hello everyone! I know its been a while, I had to put the tools away for now. I'm glad to see some familiar faces from years back. I recently came across some old papers and I found one of my favorite designs that I drew as a wild 16 year old. I read a lot of fantasy books and watched a lot of youtube as a kid and I wanted to make some stuff. I did forge some knives here and there and I made some blades I'm proud of. I never mastered the craft and now I've gone to trade school and learned how to machine. Meanwhile I'm working over the summer travelling all over the country. I think I've slept in hotels more than my own bed this year!

The knife I designed is in no way meant to be practical, its purely decorative and I don't want it even fully sharpened (Though I do want it heat treated so I could sharpen it) . I'm going to be moving to another country this November and I wanted to bring a nice gift with me. I thought it would be a great gift

I want to make sure I am paying decently well for a well made knife, and I've done the effort of running a business. I know it won't be cheap.

The materials are my preference but are not set in stone, For example it could be bone or antler or another exotic wood instead of Ivory. Wrought iron instead of brass, something instead of bloodwood etc. 

The design is also flexible somewhat if you guys don't think the doubled over guard is feasible. 

IMG_0333.JPG

And here is a redesign immediately after posting, should be much easier to fit this way. Peened or threaded tan. It would be very cool if the pommel threaded on and off.

InvertMG_0334.JPG

Check the knife laws where you're going to and be sure a dagger is legal to import.  Also that ivory spacer might be a problem at customs.  You might have to document that it's pre-ban ivory.   Other than that the sketch looks nice with the ring/sub-hilt guard.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

What is your budget?

g

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

1 hour ago, Geoff Keyes said:

What is your budget?

g

I was thinking high hundreds range.

2 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

Check the knife laws where you're going to and be sure a dagger is legal to import.  Also that ivory spacer might be a problem at customs.  You might have to document that it's pre-ban ivory.   Other than that the sketch looks nice with the ring/sub-hilt guard.

Doug

I basically want it to come as a letter opener / stage knife. Almost as blunt as a butter knife and no more dangerous than a ballpoint pen. Its not meant to be used really.

How about a time line?  Aside from the guard, everything is in reach, I should think.

Geoff

I said that.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

37 minutes ago, Geoff Keyes said:

How about a time line?  Aside from the guard, everything is in reach, I should think.

Geoff

Well I leave November 1st so hopefully by the end of October. About 12 weeks from now.

I'll PM you and we can talk about details.  I'm coming off a Covid bout and I'm a little reluctant to start a commission, but I'd like to help you out.  So we'll see what we can do.

g

I said that.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

Grant Sarver