Chassepot M1866 Sword-Bayonet

Charles dP

Hi everyone 

On a mini break in Swanage I spoiled myself and bought an M1866 Chassepot bayonet in a little maritime antique store.

AC0F2BEC-1572-47D4-99B1-CA4C92635F0E.jpeg

I have done a bit of digging and come up with the following:

There is no engraving along the spine so this was not made by one of the four big state arms manufacturers but by a contracting company. Unfortunately this also makes the year and place of manufacture difficult to tell.

Though there are a few small chips on the curved edge, the blade has not been sharpened so it may never have been actually issued to a unit.

There is an obvious serial number on the left of the guard which looks like z0 507(3?). There appears to be a second serial number on the right guard so it may have been captured and re-issued by the Germans during the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-1871 as many were.

8E597BE5-0E66-477B-B7CF-C5448CC74DB7.jpegDB3E321F-DCE4-436D-A304-365EFD2F31DF.jpeg47F44D7F-E19B-4065-8B1D-3C9AAAE3668E.jpeg
The second serial number is very shallow and difficult to see/photograph. It looks like it may be

2R14.52?4

F9BB69DE-1E7A-4B5C-B07E-4A8F7BB0D843.jpeg

At the base of the blade on the left is an stamp which looks like an upside down P (upside down relative to all the other stamps I have seen)

030E939E-B599-4B54-9DA5-969DBA8C28D4.jpeg

There is no frog (just 2 dents) or serial number on the scabbard so it is impossible to tell if this originally came with the bayonet.

2C05C08A-0460-4CD3-AC99-8D53488C8344.jpeg

There is a small five-pointed star on the quillion (which may be an inspection mark) and signs of another lower down which has been mostly worn away

85D3E1B7-C9A7-4CFE-AED5-EB93267A2548.jpeg

So that is my present to myself. Does anyone know more about these bayonets and  could they please shed some more light on this? A promising dead link for French bayonet serial numbers I found on greatwarforum.org is http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL DOCUMNETS/1866_chassepot.htm may have had some info, but, even correcting the typos it is still dead. Anyone perhaps have an alternative link?

Thanks,
CdP

Edited by Charles dP
  • Like 1

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos qui libertate donati nescimus quid constat

• Charles dP changed the title to Chassepot M1866 Sword-Bayonet

You can try here for info;

https://www.gunboards.com/forums/french-firearms-board.11/

or here;

https://www.gunboards.com/forums/militaria-swords-bayonets-edged-weapons-forum.23/

You'll have to sign up to be a member if you want to post your pictures or ask questions though.

Thanks Gazz. I’ll have a browse and see what I can learn before joining. I have just discovered that the Z prefix means that the bayonet would have been issued without a rifle to e.g. medical corps, musician, artillery operator, etc.

Thanks Alan. That is where I started my search and is a very useful site.

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos qui libertate donati nescimus quid constat