Handle help

Aaron Gouge

Thanks Alan and Don!  
       I did call a farmer friend from church this afternoon. He lives about five minutes from my chiropractor who I have to see this afternoon. He has two mobile OXY- acetylene sets. So I will grab one.
      I will try your 1x4 trick Allan! I will keep you all posted. 
    Thanks again! 
Aaron  

Alan I tried your trick with the notched one by four. I was not successful in brazing the pieces with my map torch….not sure why but I was not. Did some more research online related to general brazing principles. Set up my farmer friends portable torch set and practice with that. After a couple hours of playing around I tackled the knife tang. Success! It’s not pretty but it seems strong :-)

DC4B6F86-2A23-437C-9DF1-F40C9583C44A.jpeg

220B3DFC-C26C-46D2-B741-EBC4060D0CFF.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use Silver Brazing rod for these issues.  It is what they use to braze carbide tips onto circular saws.  I use a large common nail for peining, as they are almost pure iron and thus very malleable.  That is why they can swage a head on those nails so well.  I also use some 1008 CR steel which is almost pure iron as well.  High carbon steel tangs will pein also, but take much more hammering, and crack/work harden, and generally make the job much harder as harder hammering can also damage the but end if the handle.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work!

BTW -- I cut a key slot in the tang and MIG all-thread for screw on pommels.  I grind the all-thread square where it marries up with the tang. The all thread seems to pein pretty easily and I can tap threads and screw on the pommel first.  kind of a double locking way to go.  Impressed with the brazing technique though, never thought of that.