17th Century Basket Hilt Broadsword

jake cleland

Just finished riveting the suspension stuff on this. It's an 80th Birthday present for my dad. He started the blade about 15 years ago, and never finished it, so a few months ago I stole the blade off him, and started mounting it up. It's a reproduction of the sword used by one of our ancestors in the late 17th century. The basket parts are forged from mild steel, and assembled cold with steel rivets. I then brazed the tops of the bars, filed it all clean again and oil blued it. The pommel is forged down from two sections of heavy tube and brazed together. The handle is bog oak, and the basket is lined at the guard with leather and suede lambskin. The scabbard is cowhide, with a butt-stitched seam up the back, lined with sheepskin fleece, stiffened with poplar veneers, and covered with lambskin, with a steel throat and chape. I went with a medieval longsword style suspension with copper and brass hardware, as a baldric didn't seem to suit such an early sword...

cleland sword 5.jpg

cleland sword 10.jpg

cleland sword 6.jpg

cleland sword 7.jpg

cleland sword 8.jpg

cleland sword 9.jpg

cleland sword 11.jpg

cleland sword 12.jpg

cleland sword 2.jpg

cleland sword 4.jpg

The original 

cleland 2.jpg

cleland.jpg

And a comparison with my basket:

cleland 11.jpg

Let me know what you think...

• Like 8

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

Jake, that is a really impressive piece of work. I love it. That is the coolest thing I have seen lately. Great.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

I think that your father is going to be busting with pride to own that.  Well done.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Great project with a great back story.  Is your ancestor's original in  a museum?  If it is, and I were the curator, I would want your guys' project on exhibit along next to it.

-Brian