Qing Dao, pattern welded sanmei, bubinga, brass

Kevin Colwell

Hello Everyone,

I am still making things. I have also been restoring antiques for the past couple of years. I can't post pictures of them, though. The people that own them are often pretty picky about who knows they own them. But, it has made me better, I think. Here is a Qing Dynasty Willow Leaf Dao with a blade with a medial ridge. I hope you like it.

Colwell_220826A.jpg

bat motif dao hi res with engraving.jpg

• Like 10

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Always great to see you, Kevin!  And yes, I think you're getting better too.  Not that you weren't good to begin with, of course! :lol:

Handling old swords is the only way to understand how they're supposed to feel.  Makes a big difference to a maker of pointy objects!

That is some gorgeous work Kevin. Good to see you are still at it. Could you perhaps please share some vital statistics? Thanks.

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

ok, it weighs just under 800 grams, fittings and blade. 29.5" long. Just at .26" at forte, tapers to .13 or so (I may taper it a little more. Crazy, but I may).

Handle is about 8" total. Including pommel. 

• Thanks 1

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

8 hours ago, Kevin Colwell said:

tapers to .13 or so (I may taper it a little more. Crazy, but I may).

Thanks Kevin. Wow, how thin do you want it?

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

Kevin - Are the flutes on the grip pretty common that way historically?  It seems to me that a different orientation would be more effective as a gripping aid.  

Hi Kevin

Stunning piece B)
I have no frame of reference, but 800g sounds light, are the guard and pommel solid brass?

• 4 weeks later...

hi y'all

I had pneumonia. 

The blade, not the entire sword, weighs around 800 g.

Yes - the flutes are always done in that direction on these. It just is tradition.

OK  - the blade weighs 800g, the entire sword, all fitted out, weighs 981g.

Thanks for looking and commenting.