File type

Tim Cook

I lucked out and bought a bunch of old files and saw blades and other high carbon steel items at a yard sale.   I went through them finally and found a weird looking file.  I am thinking its an old farrier file of some type.  Anyone know what it is?  Spark test well but don't want to destroy it if it has some collectiblity for someone.   Google didn't help and I have to admit I'm curious.

Curvedteeth.jpg

Curveteeth.jpg

I believe that is a lead file.  Years ago in a pre bondo time, auto body filler was lead.  The teeth of the file could be easily cleaned if it got loaded up.  

• Like 1

Yep body lead file.

50 minutes ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

My dad has/had one of those, belonged to al uncle who was a panel beater in the days when they still used lead B) 

Funny, I have a couple that I got from my Dad's uncle.  The ones I have are flexible so as to follow the contour of the body.  I assume they were all that way?

-Brian

5 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I assume they were all that way?

They made them both ways, for different uses.  The flexible ones are for final surface levelling.  I had the last of the lead-using body guys in my area rebuild a crumpled front fender on the 1969 Thunderbird I drove in high school.  Looked great, and never any worry of the paint cracking like it does on Bondo patches.

Aside: The use of much lead filler in custom hot rods in the '50s gave rise to the term "lead sled" to describe one with radical reshaping.  Like a '41 Ford with frenched headlights, chopped top, and so on.  

I wonder if any of the high-end custom guys still use a lead substitute filler? 

16 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Yep body lead file.

Funny, I have a couple that I got from my Dad's uncle.  The ones I have are flexible so as to follow the contour of the body.  I assume they were all that way?

My dad's isn't, also useless on wood! :lol:

10 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I wonder if any of the high-end custom guys still use a lead substitute filler? 

No knowledge on the matter, but I seriously doubt it.

Slightly related topic, don't know who uses lead solder, but the price seems to have gone crazy?

I bought a spool recently, at checkout realized something is very wrong with the total, only to find out the solder that felt expensive at 400 had a smeared price tag and it's actually 1400.......

Me and a buddy bought a box of those files from a hardware closeout in the '90's.

There were flat, half round, and double-cut ones. I've hogged a lot of wood with the double-cuts.

Those are some of the most used tools I own.