Anybody know what kind of knife this is?

nathan doss

This is a knife that I found at a antiques store but I don't know what kind it is. Any help is appreciated, Also I might be looking to sell it depending on the price. Here is a link to something I thought it might be, but I never got much farther. austrian bh knife wwi - Google Search    sadly, the guard is in pretty bad shape but I'm confident someone could fix it up. 

image_67133953.JPG

image_67127297.JPG

image_67110913.JPG

It is something that has been re-handled, and probably reprofiled.  It looks like it might have been a fillet knife originally to my eye.  Is it pretty thin?

Sadly, I don't think it is of much monetary value.

-Brian

I think Gerhard is right.  Someone ground a file into a knife shap, slapped some scrap brass from ? As a guard, and added the wrapped leather grip.  Could be a homemade trench knife (they did that a lot before armies issued them), could be a hobby project.  

the 5/8 symbol and that one piece of the guard that was broken almost makes me think it was a small bayonet? Could be wrong though. it does seem to be a bit short for a bayonet.

I concur with the handmade aspect of this object. As for a bayonet they usually have two points of attachment .  That Kso has no barrel attachments either on the quard or butt of handle. Even as modified as it is It would not pass any standards test required by militaries for bayonets or cutting tools. And as pointed out earlier it looks to be a file converted to a tool. 

Think of it this way.  It's a link back to that first guy who used a sharp stick to gut a fish, or a claw or a flake of stone to cut something.  It's a tool that some person made to do a job.  It's pretty fugly, but it did the work and was good enough afterwards to keep.  In many ways, it's the sort of thing that inspired makers like us to make stuff, and to try and make it better the next time.

I had a friend who had a trap line.  Somewhere in the process of getting to his camp he lost his knife.  Rather than schlep back to the truck and try and find it, he took the lid off a can (old school steel cans) bent half of it over several times to make a grip and used a rock to hammer the edge down and ground it on another rock until it was sharp.  He used up 3 of them in the course of the season, but they worked just fine.

Man the tool user.

• Like 3

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver