Trying to Identify a couple blades

Paul Estes

Hey guys, 

I am trying to identify a couple blades not only stlyes but possible time periods. I am thinking of buying at least one of them and trying to determine a resonable offer for the owner who doesnt know alot about them. He mentioned something about the civil one for one of them but who knows. 

20220915_110659.jpg

20220915_110710.jpg

20220915_110755.jpg

20220915_110804.jpg

just use common sense.......dude your boned

They're what's called "hunting swords."  Probably German, maybe Austrian, certainly central European.  The one with the straight guard might be ca. 1820-1840, I'd have to see it in person.  The one with the curved guard is 1880s or later, based on the mounts and the quality of the stag.  

The idea was you carried one to finish off the boar or stag you just shot with your single-shot rifle before it could get you, but in reality they're just masculine costume jewelry for upper class gentlemen hunters.  They are a descendant of the bauernwehr, and appear in this form around the end of the 1600s, after the assorted wars of religion had given way to a relatively peaceful and prosperous German empire.  

Stylistically, the straight guard one is based on 1770s neoclassical design, but looks a fair bit newer.  The curved guard one is both later and much lower quality.  Note the horse-hoof finials. These get popular in the last half of the 1800s and stay through the 1930s, by which time the hunting sword was reserved for only the most upper-class twit of the woods.  The stamped nickel mounts and the rustic stag just scream 1880s at me for some reason.  Could be as late as WWI, but certainly no earlier than 1880.  

I have no opinion on the value, I haven't paid much attention to them.

Thank you for the information, I will keep working the research into them. He told me a price for the second one and it feels a bit much for it. The first one I am actually interested in, the blade has some faded etching in it which I need to think and look into. The second one almsot feels slapped together when you look at it and feel it in person. It could just be the age but I am not sure yet. Thanks again. 

just use common sense.......dude your boned