First new slip-joint in quite a while

Brian Dougherty

Here is the first knife I have finished in quite some time.  This is a slip-joint with bronze liners, bone scales, and nickel silver bolsters.

The blade is made from a “Micro-mosaic” bar of steel I made a couple of years ago, but hadn’t made a knife from yet.  You can see more about the steel here if you are so inclined: Micro-moasic

The mainspring is 1075, and heat blued.  I like the look of this, and it holds up surprisingly well in the pocket.  My own knife still shows it blue color after 2 years of daily carry in the same pocket with my keys.

The mechanicals of this knife are of my own design.  I believe I have shared it on this forum before, but would be happy to put up the PDF pattern if y’all want.

This knife will be my contribution to iron in the hat at the Bowie Memorial event coming up soon.  Show up for a chance to win it  Bowie Event Info

Now for the pics:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Brian Dougherty
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

-Brian

Very nice!  I like the domed pins, too.  I've been doing mine flush to make final cleanup easier, but domed is traditional.  One of these days. 

Speaking of iron in the hat, we've got about 4300 tickets in stock.  I may need to get another roll!  ;)

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure I would claim the pins are domed.  They are simply peened over with a tiny hammer :D

I was surprisingly rusty at putting one of these together after a year off.  I actually had to refer to a tutorial I did on this forum to remember how some of the steps go.  It certainly made for a good argument to justify the time I spend writing the tutorial!

Edited by Brian Dougherty
  • Haha 1

-Brian

Really nice!

• Thanks 1

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Makes me wish Tennessee was closer. That is a fabulous little knife. I love the micro Damascus and the color of the hot blued mainspring up against the bronze.

• Thanks 1

Dang man. I don't know how I missed the micro-mosaic thread, but the link you posted should be this one.

That is one extremely nice little knife. The pattern is a thing of beauty and I especially love the jigged bone scales. 

What a great way to re-enter!

Edited by Joshua States
  • Thanks 1

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Been watching the progress on this one, and it really pushes/shoves/inspires me to make time for another folder, beautiful piece!

Love the backspring, it almost looks like it has a reddish tinge?

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the generous compliments.

7 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Dang man. I don't know how I missed the micro-mosaic thread, but the link you posted should be this one.

Doh!  Not sure how I messed up the link, but thanks for the catch and posting the right one.  I've corrected it in the original post too.

5 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Love the backspring, it almost looks like it has a reddish tinge?

Yeah, this one came out a bit purple/plumb.  To the point Jerrod always makes, I see a lot of variability in the oxide color when I heat blue these springs.  They always go into my little lab oven (precise temp. control) at the same temp, and they are always well cleaned with acetone.  However, I get shades from the classic spring steel blue to this more plumb color.  I like the plumb more, it reminds me of the color of old rifles. 

• Like 1

-Brian

4 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Yeah, this one came out a bit purple/plumb.  To the point Jerrod always makes, I see a lot of variability in the oxide color when I heat blue these springs.  They always go into my little lab oven (precise temp. control) at the same temp, and they are always well cleaned with acetone.  However, I get shades from the classic spring steel blue to this more plumb color.  I like the plumb more, it reminds me of the color of old rifles. 

I may be a little crazy, but it is good to have other people back up that I'm not that crazy.  At least in this one aspect.  

• Haha 2