Oxy/propane torch leaking "stuff"

J.Leon_Szesny

I noticed there's some clear oily liquid dripping out of the nozzle and it's preventing the propane from properly burning so the oxygen just blows out the flame.

I'm not sure if it's my fault or if it's the cold weather or if this is normal?

IMG_20220923_195907.jpg

Edited by J.Leon_Szesny

By chance have you turned the propane cylinder on its side?  That can allow the goo (methyl mercaptan in an oily base) they put in there to add odor to leak out.  Gas cylinders should always be used as close to upright as possible.

14 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

By chance have you turned the propane cylinder on its side?  That can allow the goo (methyl mercaptan in an oily base) they put in there to add odor to leak out.  Gas cylinders should always be used as close to upright as possible.

Not at all, I have it mounted in a stand, so it's always stand-ing upright.

I let the hose hang off a shelf to drip it all out overnight, by now I have atleast a full pint worth that's come out of it and it doesn't even look like it's all drained yet.

Hmmm.  I wonder if you are using an acetylene hose.  I read grade T is what is recommended for propane (thought  about buying one).  When rubber break downs it leaves behind an oily residue type gunk.  Course like Alan I'm guessing.  You might also consider purging and cleaning out the tanks jic.  Oxy and oil doesn't make a good combo.

Edited by Tim Cook

It it possible at all that it’s dirty water? You said it’s oily, so probably not, but I figured I would check. My only other thought is that maybe some o-ring has a big glob of grease on it. Maybe a silicone grease as with an oxygen line, you would not want a flammable liquid or gel as Tim mentioned. 

@Tim Cook I am using the standard hoses that came with the roxy set, so it should be a propane hose?

@Aiden CChm not sure about grease, the oily liquid is pretty much like sewing machine oil, very runny and thin and maybe a bit less oily.

I shouldve tried to light it on fire!
but prior to fully noticing it, I think I did fiddle with the torch, just running the propane and there was no residual flame after shutting off the propane valve, soo im guessing it's maaaaybe, not a very flammable oil?

I have it drained out now and its doesn't seem to be back. Yet.

I guess anything is possible, but I've never heard of an oil that wasn't flammable?   Anyway u do not want to use propane thru an acetylene hose.  It will degrade it.  Hence why its possible that the oily residue is from that interaction.

While I have heard that using acetylene rated stuff is not compatible with propane, I have been using standard oxy/acetylene hoses for my propane/oxy rosebud torch now for about 40 years with no issue.  It was what the local welding supply place (Jackson Welding) sold me when I bought the torch.

Perhaps the oily stuff was something left over from when your torch set was made if it is a new set up.