Fun with axe-edges

jake pogrebinsky

Stumbled across this by accident and shamelessly copied it from here: vintage axe stricker - Bing images

78970RUd_1200x.jpg

Ain't it cute though? :)

And what do you guys think that is,a repair? Machined cold and then welded,maybe?

(Stricker was such a somber Pennsylvania "Dutch" maker,so hard to imagine him caught at any kind of frivolity :))

• Like 2

God is in his heaven,and Czar is far away...

I would have never considered dove tailing an ax bit, replacement or not, to the body of an ax head.  Sort of gives me a headache trying to figure out how to do it.

Doug

• Like 1

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

20 minutes ago, Doug Lester said:

I would have never considered dove tailing an ax bit, replacement or not, to the body of an ax head.  Sort of gives me a headache trying to figure out how to do it.

Doug

Doug,i don't want to sound cavalier about this,but something tells me that i'd not really be rocket science to accomplish. I'd shape the old trimmed edge first (using chisels + cape chisel+ triangle file to true up), then scribe it onto a still-square section of future new edge and likewise shape it with hand tools (today,in reality i'd use a cut-off disc for majority of waste removal).

Once some degree of close fit is achieved it's possible that just some judicious flat-forging may be enough to lock the corresponding parts together; that i'm not certain about and that lovely example above does appear to've been welded.

At some late-ish stage of the American "Golden Age" of tool-making there was a patent registered where replaceable  edge system was designed,based on a single wide dovetail. (of course forgot who/when/et c.,but distinctly remember seeing the patent pages...). 

• Like 1

Given where and when that was made, there was a plethora of skilled woodworkers quite used to fitting dovetails much finer than that.  I can see some craftsman deciding this would be the best solution to fix an axe that had lost its bit once.  I defy anyone to get that one out!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 12:50 PM, jake pogrebinsky said:

I'd shape the old trimmed edge first (using chisels + cape chisel+ triangle file to true up), then scribe it onto a still-square section of future new edge and likewise shape it with hand tools

I was thinking along the same lines, but in reverse order. I’d shape the dovetails in the tool steel bit, heat the mild body up nice and hot. Then I’d lay the hot body on the anvil, lay the bit on top and whack it to leave an impression of what to remove. Then again, I’m a barbarian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

14 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Then again, I’m a barbarian.

You Are a barbarian, Joshua, (the word "barbarian" being evocative of all those incomparable Hunnic gold ornaments and Carolingian cloisonne and so many other examples of barbarity now in world's museums,to me at least :)).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2