I need to respect time more.

Gilbert McCann

I've been doing a lot of thinking this week. One thing is these knives should be done. A few minutes of etching for 2 of them, maybe a couple final sanding strokes on 2 and glue. 

After being in the hospital from Monday till Wednesday and having emergency umbilical hernia (4-6 week recovery) surgery. I realize I'm not indestructible. I'm in my late 50s and I'm not on any medication I've been lucky and my only trip to the hospital as an adult was from mountain bike racing getting stitches in my elbow.

I do respect time but I should more. I could be much more productive just by focusing (unlike when I look like a goldfish in a bowl in the shop) and being more organized. 

So for now I'll impatiently waiting to finish those knives as soon as I'm able. When I'm recovered I hope to make some changes in lifestyle and knife/work goals as well. 

I hope I'm not in a hospital again. 

Gilbert 

20221210_140558.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is quality time anyway? 

For me, it's when I don't see time passing at the shop. It's when I throw a satisfying grin at my work. It's certainly not when I feel pressure to finish a commission. 

Don't be so hard on yourself, just enjoy while you can ^_^

14 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

For me, it's when I don't see time passing at the shop. It's when I throw a satisfying grin at my work. It's certainly not when I feel pressure to finish a commission. 

I definitely want to keep it fun. Thank you 

I commiserate with you. Just had (non-emergency) hernia surgery too (mid 50's and I have spent WAY too much time in hospitals this year...). In recovery myself. Learned the respect of time earlier this year with an emergency hospital stay 

On 12/10/2022 at 6:58 PM, Joël Mercier said:

Words of wisdom - which is why I'm seriously looking at retirement in the next year and a half... 

Nice set of knives Gilbert. Glad to see you made it through surgery.

56 here and I'm having non emergency hernia surgery this morning.   I plan to spend my recovery time making 200 plus birch bark spacers.

Take it easy 

1670853376375118085011.jpg

@Bill Schmalhofer Thanks. Wish you good luck in your recovery and future plans. @Doug Webster Good luck in your surgery and recovery. I have some ideas for handles that I can premake. My shop also has a lot of cleaning and organizing to be done. My recovery I suspect will be on the long side considering I'm a landscaper. 

In my 70's and gratefull to have good health and mostly injury free. Heading away in the morning for 3 days hunting in the high country with deer and goats on the chase menu. Steep country and a bit slower with the climb in  and out again but still comfortable with the idea of the hunt although there are more stops for a break now that there were years ago.

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 2

Von Gruff

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

The ability to do comes with doing.

add resized.png

I think this is a good message.  I've lost quite a few people around me in the last few months.  Most of them have been up there in years, but were only my age now when I first met them.  (It's funny how old I thought they were then...)  as a result I've been struck by the notion that what someone does with the time they are given is all they will leave behind.

@Garry Keown I'm curious what you hunt with Garry.  Sounds like similar territory to Montana here in the states.  You'll probably be out and back before you see this, so I hope you had a successful trip!

• Like 1

-Brian

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

@Garry Keown I'm curious what you hunt with Garry.  Sounds like similar territory to Montana here in the states.  You'll probably be out and back before you see this, so I hope you had a successful trip!

Not away yet. Just 5am so will get away after breakfast shortly.

I Hunt with a custom 6.5 Grendel-Max. A cartridge I developed from the standard Grendel. Moved the shoulder forward by .05and load long to 2.405 (standard Grendel is 2.225) I get another 200fps with the 123SST at 2700fps. I had Mansons make a custom reamer for the cartridge and chambered a match barrel for a MKX mini Mauser that I lengthened the magazine to hold the longer cartridge, made a longer bolt handle and a custom laminated stock. I make the center core for the stock 5/8 and shape it to reflect the finished shape then the other two laminations either side of the core are not cut through in the shaping. It shoots very well as the 200 yds target shows during testing. Sold the reamer to a guy who is pest shooting and he has chambered 3 rifles for the cartridge now.

Chamber reamer print I sent to Mansons.

007 (6).jpg

Grendel-Max with standard Grendel

6.5 Grendel and Grendel-Max.png

Rifle I built

6.5 Grendel-Max.png

Target showing velocity and accuracy.

Best group at 200 yds.png

• Like 2

Von Gruff

add resized.png

23 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

It's a shame we are 1/2 a world apart Garry.  You'd be a fun guy to sit and talk with for a while :)  Good hunting!

Home again Brian. Had set 3 days for the hunt but had success on day one, a very long day it was too. I will do a hunt report with a couple of pics later. Would be good to sit and have a yarn about guns, knives and hunting.

• Like 1

Von Gruff

add resized.png

My work has always improved after laying fallow ……I tend to wear blinders as i run down alleys ….an injury has always been  a good time to rethink what I  am doing…..   

I  hope you get back to your shop soon Gary and your time off has upped your game

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My gallbladder came out September 2022, doc that performed the procedure insisted I go see somebody about work stress.

While talking to the therapist we got onto the topic of health.....

2018 I was only slightly overweight, still did a multi-day hike with a 30kg backpack in hill country.

2019 my right Achilles gave me endless trouble, barely able to walk at times.

2020 hurt my shoulder, between that and super stressful situation at work  I was lucky to to get 2-3 hours sleep a night, that went on for months.

Three rounds with covid, even more stress at work and implosion of several friendships, mostly due to divorce.

Had some issues that finally drove me to the doc, suspicion was a hiatus hernia and/or heart related issues
Got to experience some fascinating medial tests, fortunately not a hernia, just hectic acid reflux and gall stones.

I most likely have a narrowed coronary artery, but the idea of stents at 47 doesn't sit well with me, haven't booked the follow-up with the cardiologist yet, busy hiding my own Easter eggs....

Things that give me joy are my new puppies and making knives, but my motivation for the latter has a problem as well.  I had huge plans for the 3 weeks I was on leave over December. Walked the dogs every morning, then came the struggle to get myself into the shop.......some days that would only be around 4pm.
Every single day I wished I'd started earlier and got more done because I was excited to see the result, and every morning the same struggle.

Been questioning myself about that a lot, but I did make my mind up to stop taking commissions, not going to make useful (but boring) kitchen cutlery anymore.
I'm almost done with the first crazy project, hope to share soon, and I plan on making things that only true knife nuts would buy, don't care if I sells anything ever again.

I've realized some of my friends were always just bad friends, for others I had to admit people change, and both parties have changed and are going down a different path.

I need to walk my dogs more, need to go fishing again.....
I need to build a blown ribbon burner forge, upgrade& repair a grinder......and mostly likely build a workshop I can disassemble and move, my shop won't be mine much longer.

I need to fight what the years of stress has done to my brain, be kind to the good people in my life, and openly and loudly tell the bad ones to take a running jumping leap....

Hi Gerhard

Good thoughts and insights. Just to play devil’s advocate:

11 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

the idea of stents at 47 doesn't sit well with me

how does the idea of death at 49? Don’t mess with this stuff. Get it looked at.

11 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

I'm almost done with the first crazy project, hope to share soon, and I plan on making things that only true knife nuts would buy, don't care if I sells anything ever again

Good for you. Can’t wait to see the result.

• Like 1

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

@Gerhard Gerber By you sharing that I hope you don't mind what I say. First pull those Easter eggs out and see the doctor. Second thing I've had times in my life when I've needed help and I remember an ah ha moment after reading an assignment(chapter in a book) from my therapist. To say it was life changing may not be an understatement. 3rd walk the dogs then get in the shop. 

Take care of yourself. 

Gilbert 

Not at all @Gilbert McCann, your OP resonated with me, therefore the venting/over-sharing :lol:

I had my ah-ha moment with the therapist, she explained what long-term stress/anxiety/uncertainty does to the brain, unfortunately explained a lot.

She as well as the surgeon strongly advised me to find other work, problem being at my age, local political reality and the economy still halfway down the pandemic-crapper, that is just about impossible, been trying for a while.
Myself and 4 colleagues were targeted in 2018 and made redundant, apart from one of the 5 that retired we're all still here, while the person that instigated the process is not..........but after that I don't even trust the ground I'm walking on.

Been two weeks since I promised my GP i'd make the follow-up appointment with the cardiologist, hopefully tomorrow :ph34r: