Where to get handle material

Hi. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I was wondering where I could get elk, moose, deer or other antlers. Also wondering about where to acquire exotic woods. I have tried Bell's forest and have had great luck but it's quite a hike from where I live. Are there any recommendations of suppliers? Or individual sales? 

Cheers!

Emery

I have found chunks of elk antler at pet stores where they sell them as dog chew things.  They used to be quite inexpensive but then it seems they became popular with the five finger discount club and the price went up and they got moved behind the counter.

Moscow hide and fur sells all sorts of antler, Culpepper and co. has bone, horn, and exotics, any of the knife catalogs have any handle material you want, for a price.  

If you're a good scrounger you can find interesting wood in odd places.  

Try checking on sites that sell wood to wood turners, especially if you have the capability of re-sawing it.  A 4"x4"x12" spindle blank will give you at least 2 handle blocks and two scales.  Sometimes you can also find cut offs that are usable  for cheap.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Guitar makers and gunstock makers usually have lots of cutoff pieces that are too small for them to use but are great for scales or handles.

We have a local small hardwood sawmill that mostly sells big slabs for conference tables or mantels. They'll let you fill up a pickup bed with their cutoffs for $60.