WIP Baba Yagas house

Matthew Parkinson

I started this one around Holloween.  This is more in the same vane as the Whiskey Sunrise and Ashoken Nights. 

the concept was based around some bars I had laying around from another project, I really don't even know what they were from, but I realized I could make the house. and then i got the idea to do it like a paint by numbers..  make a drawing and just fill in the blanks on top, when I first did the drawing I had forgotten the Baba Yagas  house has chicken legs.. so i adjusted the drawing.. PXL_20221028_203039975.jpg the back ground is 1075  and i use thin sheets of 15n20 to frame and outline every thing. I was trying to get sense  depth and distance. the trees  are 200 layer bars cut at 45Deg the mountians was a some left over tiles from a mosaic i did a few years ago. PXL_20221101_203302908.jpgPXL_20221118_212611824.jpg slowly I filled in the back ground and built up the picture. PXL_20221125_222649870.MP.jpg Once I had every thing fit I Tig welded the frame together. then surface ground every thing close  to flat. PXL_20221126_181501748.jpg  from here I welded on thin covers to each side (22 gauge) PXL_20221126_183121053.jpg I weled this up an drew it out a bit . the welding process was the flats then narrow  then long back to flat  back , slowly consolidating everything  in all directions .

after several heats the pattern started to show through the sheet (as it succumbed to scale ) I did see one or two flaws open up but i was able to massage them closed and use a touch of flux to  get them to weld them shut. 

The forge  was acting funny the day I welded this and it over shot the temp I normally weld at by a couple hundred deg. I suspect that was my issue. PXL_20221126_194511351.jpg I surface ground the flats  to 120 grit and did see any flaws. PXL_20221126_195951280.jpg I gave it a quick etch a that point.  I squared up the other two corners and passed this off to a friend of a friend that works in an EDM shop. He is going to slice the billet into 2 -1/4" thick pieces and 1 -3/8" thick. from then Ill forge several blades. The thick one I have ear marked for a cleaver..  likely do a chef out of one as well. 

That's all until I get them back from the machine shop. 

MP

PXL_20221125_222649870.MP

• Like 2

Matt,

I like where you are going with this.  Really developing a vocabulary that will give a unique look to your work.  Will be interesting to see as you progress with this technique.

One question: how do you plan on dealing with the tang?  It seems a shame to develop this full painterly scene and lose part of it to a tang.

14 hours ago, Dan Hertzson said:

Matt,

I like where you are going with this.  Really developing a vocabulary that will give a unique look to your work.  Will be interesting to see as you progress with this technique.

One question: how do you plan on dealing with the tang?  It seems a shame to develop this full painterly scene and lose part of it to a tang.

there are two bars one on each end that are not really part of the pattern just 30 layer straight bars , these are more or less sacrificial for the tang.  I did a pattern bar rather than a solid 1075 because i had them in the right size and I figured they would be less obvious if the ended up in the blade. 

Like I did for the Ashoken knife, Ill saw cut the transition so that there is a clean transition to the the heal with out any drag up that would happen if I forged in that transition. 

• Like 1

well we have a good news bad news sort of situation here. good news I got it back from the EDM shop. Bad news is the bar has a bunch of flaws. looks like at least one of the three pieces I can save, the thickest I am going to try casing with sheet and rewelding , I may add another edge bar on that one as well to get a little more Mass to work with. 

The other two I have a few ideas but they may not be salvageable PXL_20221224_154936761.jpgPXL_20221224_154939121.jpgPXL_20221224_154947392.MP.jpg

• Sad 2

Even with all of that, this is a very worthwhile project.  My hat's off to you  sir.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

My sympathies Matt… I had a few failures trying to forge weld mosaic ….. when I made my design into a square and could weld it with V blocks I got  a complete weld… 

I was going to ask if you thought of making a “loaf” that you could cut slices off of ….. and you then could use a cut off wheel and save the time and expense having EDM cuts……

B424C3B5-F127-44C4-8DCA-263CA7CE01F6.jpeg

oh i know why this happened , my forge over shot the welding temp by 200 deg and the case failed, I massaged it back together but was not 100% it worked. the EDM was an experiment , I was hoping the smaller kerf (0.002) and accuracy would make up for the cost, it dosn't look like that will be the case , this one spend 6 hours on the machine for 2 cuts .  

11 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

What Joshua said.  If we don't push the boundaries, how will we know where they are? B)

…or move them?

• Like 1

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried forging out one of the three bars and it just fell apart I tried to re weld it with flux and it would hold then fall apart finally i just needed to concede defeat. I boxed one of the remaining bars with 1/8 1080  and tried welding it again . i soaked it at 2000deg for 10-15 min then set the two sheets first before gently  hammering from all directions. even with the added width the billet buckled a lot upsetting it  today i ground off the 1080 and tried forging it into a blade.. it held together better than the first bar, but I was forced to flux weld a bunch of joints to get it to hang together. I managed a blade but I am not confident it will not have major weld flaws. 

I hardened it and gave it a quick grind to knock off the scale then tossed it in temper. hopefully ill have time tomorrow to grind it. 

• Like 2

As predicted the blade was full of flaws, o ground and etched it any way to look at the finished pattern. mixed results.. 

I think i may try welding up the last one again with a really thick jacket and a LONG soak 

MP

PXL_20230120_234254356.MP.jpg

• Like 2