Scissors production

Jeff Amundson

I went into production mode with these two designs. The process and tooling are the same for both, so I was able to focus on process refinements. I processed them in batches of 2, meaning 4 blades welded and forged, ready for heat treat before I'd start another batch. By having blades at various stages, the bottlenecks show up fast. It turns out the hot work is about 25% of the total time to make a pair. 

20221221_155153~3.jpg

• Like 8

It's always fun to see what happens when one goes into production mode.  It really does show where things need to improve.  My record is a production run of 22 fancy tomahawks.  Hot work ended up being about 10% of the total time invested. 

I'm really diggin' your scissors. B)

That is awesome looking scissors !  do they cut good ?  Me thinks the concept of scissors is over my head, or perhaps beyond my free hand grinding skills. If I understand correctly there is a bit of over bite needed in each blade to get that shearing action?

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

On 12/22/2022 at 11:04 AM, Alan Longmire said:

diggin'

On 12/22/2022 at 6:58 PM, Matt Walker said:

Impressive

16 hours ago, AJ Chalifoux said:

Most impressive

9 hours ago, Hoy's Forge said:

awesome

9 hours ago, kidterico said:

WOW

Thank you very much for all the compliments.

do they cut good ?

Yes, they cut. I'm a toolmaker. My previous post explains how I test them. https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/42842-forging-scissors-photos-of-my-current-process/

is a bit of over bite needed in each blade to get that shearing action?

Thanks for asking. This seems to be the mystique of scissors making. In my learning, I looked at the shearing action of many tools, including tin snips and foot operated shears. It's helpful if the shearing blades are sharp, but it's critical that nothing passes between them. For scissors, human anatomy forces the two blades together naturally. As your hand closes, the fingers pull and the thumb pushes. This is only effective for the first couple inches as a scissors closes, so a slight curvature (yaw, as opposed to pitch or roll) in the blades is necessary to maintain that force all the way to the tip of the blades.

Thanks for responding, This is very interesting ! I went to the  thread you linked  , thanks for posting that !   But I still have a couple of questions.  Towards the end you showed how bent the blades to make them shear. You said "they're mostly mild steel" . Did I miss something in the forging part ? are these laminated with HC steel or are they  mono steel , I thought you said 1070 ?  OR is the HT soft enough to be slightly under a spring temper ?  I recon I'm thinking like a knife maker. If my blade will take a bend and keep it , after HT, I messed up LOL  Also are you grinding the inside flats hollow ground , or is that the secondary bevel . I always assumed the inside grind was a perfectly parralell flat grind. At least until the  until the bend is set in the blades. 

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Nice Jeff…. And nice photo too…..Thank you 

I can hear my mentors….. “ it takes 10 times to figure out how how to make it consistently “ and “ ten min at the forge is worth an hour at the bench…” this is a great example of that….. what are the ruff dimensions ?

On 12/25/2022 at 5:12 AM, Hoy's Forge said:

Did I miss something

Yes, you missed it. I start with 1018, then I weld 1075 to it. On the inside, it's flat first, then a hollow is ground, leaving only a tiny bit of flat left at the cutting edge. 
3 hours ago, Dick Sexstone said:

ruff dimensions ?

These are all about 7 1/2" overall, 3 1/4" - 3 1/2" cutting edge. 
3 hours ago, Dick Sexstone said:

nice photo too

Thanks, Dick. There are little blobs of clay propping up some of the blades to eliminate the glare.