Cross country moving tips?

Guy Thomas

So a 1500 mile move "may" be in my future from the Deep South to the Far North. Just moving a household with 30 years accumulation of stuff would be bad enough but I've never seriously considered what moving all my anvils, shop fixtures, power and hand tools and miscellaneous crap would entail. Not sure loading a Uhaul with all the household stuff AND a couple (or three or four? it probably adds up even in a small shop) thousand lbs. of anvils, hammers etc etc etc would be a great idea. Or trying to ship stuff like that in a POD. Maybe commercial shipping of a packing crate with anvils and heavy tools etc. by a trucking company? Any thoughts/tips especially from anyone who has gone through this are greatly appreciated. This would entail thousands and thousands of individual decisions on what to keep, throw out, sell or simply replace not only of household stuff but shop stuff too. I mean do I try and take an overbuilt 8 foot long wood workbench that probably weighs in excess of 600 lbs? 

Guy Thomas

Sounds like @Dave Stephens needs to chime in.  He moved his shop from one corner of the US to the other (I think the whole shop, just remember from threads on here way back whenever it happened).  

When I moved across state a little over a decade ago I made a bunch of trips with miscellaneous trailers and loaded truck beds, then one big U-Haul for the house goods (many of which already went in pickup loads).  Definitely not ideal for the mileage you're talking about.  I had to make the drive a few times myself anyway.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I don't have any hints or advice, but man, I hate moving! :(

Man you got that right, being 60 doesn't help, not like you get more energy as you age right? lol

3 hours ago, Jerrod Miller said:

When I moved across state a little over a decade ago I made a bunch of trips with miscellaneous trailers and loaded truck beds, then one big U-Haul for the house goods (many of which already went in pickup loads).  Definitely not ideal for the mileage you're talking about.  I had to make the drive a few times myself anyway.  

Yeah, the distance involved makes it a whole 'nuther beast, incredibly daunting actually

Guy Thomas

I can't offer any advice as I moved to where I'm at 33 years ago but can tell you there is one room in my house that is half filled with boxes that are still unopened and sealed from that move.  I have a rough idea of what is in some of them but no idea for must of them.  

• Like 1

Step 1: Read this account of a guy moving his shop across country http://www.twistedknotwoodshop.com/moving.htm

Step 2: Do everything the opposite way!

This guy loaded up 10 tons of woodworking machinery in an old school bus and hauled it across the mountains.  Twice.  He's also a good story teller.

• Like 1

-Brian

On 2/10/2023 at 12:36 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

Step 1: Read this account of a guy moving his shop across country http://www.twistedknotwoodshop.com/moving.htm

Step 2: Do everything the opposite way!

This guy loaded up 10 tons of woodworking machinery in an old school bus and hauled it across the mountains.  Twice.  He's also a good story teller.

Great story! Though using the bus isn't entirely a bad idea, lol. I could probably get away with a short bus...

• Haha 1

Guy Thomas