Bought a Peter Wright Anvil anyone know how old this is?

Mathew Young

looking for any information on this anvil. Picked it up for a good price from a neighbor who got it from an estate sale. Was found in an old barn.

Thank you

weighs around 125 pounds or so

"Always drink upstream from the herd" & "Never squat when you're wearing spurs"

- John Wayne

• Mathew Young changed the title to Bought a Peter Wright Anvil anyone know how old this is?

Based on the markings and shape, it's between around 1855 and 1876.  Original weight, according to the weight stamps,  was 127 pounds.  Made in Dudley, a suburb of Sheffield, England.  Wrought iron body with steel face.

That one looks to be in excellent condition, almost new!  Great find.  Don't monkey with it, it's fine the way it is.  

Good.  That thing has lasted at least 150 years in good shape, and is still a working tool.  How many tools can say that?  

Anvils don't become antique until they're around 200 years old or older, and even then most of them are still working tools.  I recently got one from the 1780s-1790s that's still in great shape.  I haven't used it because of elbow issues, but I fully intend to pound on it properly (yet gently!) once I'm able! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 7:12 PM, Alan Longmire said:

Based on the markings and shape, it's between around 1855 and 1876.  Original weight, according to the weight stamps,  was 127 pounds.  Made in Dudley, a suburb of Sheffield, England.  Wrought iron body with steel face.

That one looks to be in excellent condition, almost new!  Great find.  Don't monkey with it, it's fine the way it is.  

Its a sweet looking little anvil! - @Alan Longmire - Dudley is in the Midlands of the UK, not anything to do with Sheffield in Yorkshire! - Its the equiv of me confusing Canada and USA in terms of winding the locals up :o :D