Another one about dust collecting

Bill Schmalhofer

After the weekend of grinding my spear head, my better half has decided I need to get a better system to collect metal dust. Does anyone have experience or knowledge (personal or otherwise) with the Magna-matic Mag-200 for knife makers? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

So I took the plunge. It was a bit expensive but it does the job so well. Did 1.5 hours of grinding last night (making a mandrel for spear making) and barely any dust anywhere outside the collector. Could see the sparks that normally come off the top of the belt getting sucked down back through the funnel . Actually has enough draw through the grinder shroud that it helped keep the platen cool.

IMG_1432.jpg

Also set it up so I can use my wood dust collector. The wood collector port is plugged by a metal end cap when grinding metal. 

IMG_1433.jpg

The better half is VERY happy (and so am I)...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

congrats Bill....the two of you came up winners I think.....

I'm confused...... the black box is the Mag200 you were asking about? you use the wood dust collector hook up for handle material? Is the Mag 200 Loud? like the Wood Dust collector? Could you plum them both outside the shop so you would not have to listen to them? Could you get your better half take a pic of the sparks getting sucked as you use it?

On 6/16/2023 at 9:33 AM, Dick Sexstone said:

congrats Bill....the two of you came up winners I think.....

I'm confused...... the black box is the Mag200 you were asking about? you use the wood dust collector hook up for handle material? Is the Mag 200 Loud? like the Wood Dust collector? Could you plum them both outside the shop so you would not have to listen to them? Could you get your better half take a pic of the sparks getting sucked as you use it?

Yes the black box is the Mag200. It is a self-contained filtered metal vacuum system. Works really well. It is a bit quieter than my wood dust collector, but it is still kinda loud. Yep wood dust collector for handle material. Can't plumb them outside unfortunately. I did discover I didn't need the "knife workers edition" based on how I have it plumbed (don't need the extra spark arrestor) . Could have saved myself ~$100.00. Live and learn. Can work on getting the pictures.