Aiming high... WIP

Alveprins

Finally finished up the logo on the pommel this weekend... ^_^

20231119_155142~2.jpg

It is not 100% finished however. I am going to stipple some of the gold, however I will do this when there is no more change of damaging the pommel in any way..

Here I've done 24kt gold inlay, and set two 0,03 white diamonds. The image is not too sharp unfortunately, but it does give an idea.

All sides of the tang are now engraved, and I've started working on side A of the handle - marking inlay channels for gold around the relief sculpture towards the blade.

Have a nice sunday everyone! :)

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 9:30 PM, Alan Longmire said:

I greatly enjoy these little updates.  This is going to be your masterpiece. B)

That is nice to hear, thank you! :)

And here's another one. ^_^

November_Progress01.jpg

I am getting closer to finishing the last piece of gold inlay on side A, to the left in the picture. The width of the slit is about 1,8mm.

I looked at my gold consumption today, and noticed I've just about passed 12 grams so far into the project. :unsure: :lol:

I will finish this last strip of gold inlay this afternoon, and then proceed with sanding the inlay flat - and cutting the wheat border patterns...

Almost Friday again! Have a good Thursday! 

• Like 2

Now the real fun begins….. i hope you take lots of progress pics ….but if it were me I would get too involved in the fun  and forget to take progress shots….

and I think the that tape is  very cool  juxtapose to the precision of your work…..

• Like 1

Allright, 12 hours of background removal later:

20231129_063044~2.jpg

I decided to go quite a bit deeper than on the test piece - which will give me a bit more "elevation" to work with in terms of topography in the relief. ^_^

Next I will do this same procedure on the back of the handle, then start sculpting the front and then finally the back on this side (A).

Needless to say I am pretty nervous. I will try to improve my old test-piece a bit before I start cutting into the relief on the knife. I've been watching some wood-carving videos - and I want to try out some techniques... :lol:

Have a good Odin's-day everyone! :D

• Like 2

Alright, so I've finished background removal on the rear of the handle, side B as well - so now it is time to proceed with the actual sculpting - which I dread... :lol:

I've spent a few hours improving my sculpting attempt no. 2 - and here is the result:

December_Progress.jpg

I've doubled the depth of the background, allowing me to play a whole lot more with topography on the relief itself. I've cut much more agressively compared with previously, and attempted to increase the level of definition.

I have however - detected a few things that need further improvement.

Please feel free to add to my three points mentioned above. <_<

My next cuts will be directly on the knife. I cannot keep churning out these test-plates forever if I am to finish this project in time...

Wish you all a good sunday! ^_^

• Like 2

I felt compelled to making some changes... I think I might be on the right track:

December_Progress2.jpg

Alright, so a bit less "round" expression, and mouth doesn't look like a blowfish...

Added some more muscle tone - but need to improve on that. I'll leave more material for sculpting on the actual piece.

• Like 3

This is fun watching your progress…. You are making good choices by the looks of it…. You have been telling us patience…. Now it the time to practice it the most….. after all this investment …..

• Thanks 1

Alright folks, managed to finish up the two sculptures this weekend.. I still need to set all the stones and touch up some stuff - but this is basically it... ^_^

December_Progress_Collage.jpg

And now I have to do it all over on the other side... :lol:

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 4

Finished setting the last stone yesterday, and side A is now pretty much finished:

December_Progress_Collage_Final.jpg

There are three natural white diamonds in the front relief, accompaniet by one blue sapphire. In the rear relief there are two white diamonds, and one red ruby.

There are still some small adjustments that will have to wait until I've finished the handle in it's entirety - but this is pretty much it, at least for now.

I checked my log and discovered that fully engraving and sculpting this side of the handle took roughly 94 hours.

Now I will start on the other side, which is completely blank. Outlines need to be scribed and cut, gold inlay channels must be cut, gold inlay must be completed. Holes for stones must be drilled and fittet, backgrounds need to be removed before sculpting... another 94 hours ahead of me.

Currently at 588 hours... :unsure:

Have a nice tuesday everyone... ;)

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone!

Finally - now 700 hours into the project - the knife itself is finished, and work on the sheath can continue.

I managed to snap a few pictures with my phone this afternoon, and here they are. ^_^

Progress_January24_Collage.jpg

Progress_January24-1.jpg

Progress_January24-2.jpg

Progress_January24-3.jpg

Progress_January24-4.jpg

And that's it... There are many details regarding the theme of this project, but I am not ready to share those yet. Have a wonderful sunday everyone!

• Like 6

The only reason I never pinned this thread was to keep you from feeling pressure to finish it.  I will follow that strategy with the sheath and box (there will be a box, no?) as well. B)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

The only reason I never pinned this thread was to keep you from feeling pressure to finish it.  I will follow that strategy with the sheath and box (there will be a box, no?) as well. B)

Hehe! The sheath is underway, bog oak and steel with inlaid gold. Still allot of work to do on it.

A box has been planned, but I don't know if I will have the time. I will make a book for this as well, which takes precedence over the box.

The sheath will probably take me 150 hours, and the book 150 hours - which lands me at 1000 hours in total. I don't know if I will be able to put in more hours than that before start of June. :wacko:

Perhaps if I outsource the box to someone else - and just do the metal fittings on it myself. We will have to see. The clock is ticking.... :unsure: 

So I have a question about the meteorite  in the resin..... How did you get the meteorite to suspend in the resin without it sinking before the resin hardened? Maybe the specific gravity of the meteorite was close enough to the resin's specific gravity that it floated ? or did you need to keep turning it till the resin set enough? it is a very cool look to see it floating like that...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dick Sexstone said:

So I have a question about the meteorite  in the resin..... How did you get the meteorite to suspend in the resin without it sinking before the resin hardened? 

I did two pours. First a shallow pour. Let it harden enough so that the rock will not sink, then do the 2nd pour. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been quite from my side for a little while now - but rest assured I've been working on the sheath. :P

Progress_Collage.jpg

Above are some snaps from the process of making a small plaque that will go on front of the sheath. It is bog iron inlaid with copper, gold and mother of pearl.

Before starting to cut the mother of pearl I wanted to do a test-plate - which I am glad I did:

Progress_Collage2.jpg

As you can see - sharp undercut corners does not bode well when doing inlay. In this case I used copper - which is quite a bit harder than gold as well - so that is part of the reason. But I would have gotten this result with gold too. The mother of pearl is simply too brittle, and undercutting the inlay channels creates a "overhang" which is easilly broken when applied pressure to.

The solution is to do single inlay channels and inlay gold before cutting new inlay channels - thus maintaining the structural integrity of the material.

I am currently working on the actual piece - and I'll post a pic once it's done. ^_^

Chiao people, and have a nice weekend!

• Like 3

And after 36 hours of work, the name plaque with the monogram is finally done:

And now more work on the sheath... ^_^

Gold inlay in mother of pearl, which in return inlaid in bog iron - which will finally be inlaid in bog oak... :lol:

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 5