Aiming high... WIP

Alveprins

8 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

For this piece, that's not a bad idea.  For $10K and under, a handshake deal is the norm in the knife world.  But this is a special piece.  No guarantee it'll sell, that's up to luck.

Well, we'll see if Lady Luck is headed to Atlanta too then... I hope she is. :)

12 hours ago, Alveprins said:

Oh, another thing... Should I prepare a sales contract for this?

One thing I would suggest is a plain paper copy of the book to show people what is contained in the whole book without them having to handle the book. People want to hold stuff and get their greasy nasty fingers all over everything.

• Like 2

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

6 hours ago, Joshua States said:

One thing I would suggest is a plain paper copy of the book to show people what is contained in the whole book without them having to handle the book. People want to hold stuff and get their greasy nasty fingers all over everything.

I have a test - text-block I can make available. It has one paragraph that is incorrect, but otherwise its all the same. I am planning on bringing all the test-pieces so that people can pick stuff up and get a sense of the process too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alveprins said:

I have a test - text-block I can make available. It has one paragraph that is incorrect, but otherwise its all the same. I am planning on bringing all the test-pieces so that people can pick stuff up and get a sense of the process too.

Great Idea.

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

On 5/29/2024 at 2:55 PM, Alveprins said:

<snip> Currently I've spent 1227 hours and 30 minutes. The gold alone cost over 2000 USD.

I was thinking of pricing my efforts at 22 USD pr. hour, but I don't know... It adds up to a pretty pricey piece of iron and steel. 29k USD? :unsure: <snip>

Day-um!  A guy gets distracted by some other hobbies and stops hanging out here for a while and you you get all crazy.  Impressive dude. 

If it took half a years work, it deserves half a years pay.  That kind of work won't get duplicated.  Ever.  People who can afford this sort of thing will pay waht it is worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Brian

Posted (edited)

Alright, how's this for a contract?

AE_Contract_Draft.jpg

Does this cover everything? :huh:

Edited by Alveprins

1 hour ago, Alveprins said:

Alright, how's this for a contract?

Does this cover everything? :huh:

I think that's a question for your local attorney/ legal counsel/Advokat

RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

2 hours ago, billyO said:

I think that's a question for your local attorney/ legal counsel/Advokat

Aint got one.

It'll have to do. :lol:

I'd remove line 5, but that's just me.  I see what you're trying to convey with it, but it reads almost like you're trying to cover up something not readily apparent.

53 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

I'd remove line 5, but that's just me.  I see what you're trying to convey with it, but it reads almost like you're trying to cover up something not readily apparent.

I suppose I agree. Thing is - who knows what happens to experimental builds over years and years. Don't want to get bitten in the *ss after a few years...

I'd just change the line to say something like "the buyer assumes all responsibility for any and all eventualities relating to the Goods upon receipt of the Goods."  

When people ask me if they can throw one of my fancy pipe hawks, I tell them once they buy it it's theirs to do with as they please, but there are no warranties implied or expressed. In other words, if you break it or knock out an inlay, it's your own damn fault and I'm not replacing it.  

• Thanks 1

I agree with Alan somewhat…..and Billy too…. Having legal counsel  read over your contract  would be best…..( another expense added )

If I have a knife that comes back from a flaw I make it right, first with an apology ,a Thankyou for allowing me to make it right,   with no charge …. If one comes back from wear & tear I will clean it up for a pre arranged  minimal charge…..

But I’m and not in the rarified air like you…..your exposer to the size of the hit  is much higher than mine …… be careful about what you agree to or don’t and make sure everything is in writing signed off by both sides….

Good Luck…. Time is almost up 

• Thanks 1

Having had some experience with the legal system here in the states, I do know it's possible to put too much in a contract that actually increases your liability.  It could be looked at as you knowing there is something flawed that you are trying to protect yourself from.  Sometimes saying less is better.  Of course, your laws might be different.  That's why I suggest getting a consult.

14 minutes ago, Dick Sexstone said:

Having legal counsel  read over your contract  would be best…..( another expense added )

Just add that to the asking price.

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

I'd just change the line to say something like "the buyer assumes all responsibility for any and all eventualities relating to the Goods upon receipt of the Goods."  

I will change point 5 to better reflect what you are communicating. Thank you very much for this feedback. :)

1 hour ago, Dick Sexstone said:

I agree with Alan somewhat…..and Billy too…. Having legal counsel  read over your contract  would be best…..( another expense added )

But I’m and not in the rarified air like you…..your exposer to the size of the hit  is much higher than mine …… be careful about what you agree to or don’t and make sure everything is in writing signed off by both sides….

Good Luck…. Time is almost up 

Yeah, I will follow Alan's advice. Legal council is not an option. My plane takes off in 11 hours and its 7:15PM local time here. In Norway it is not normal to "... have a lawyer...". I'd have to call up one of the firms, explain myself, and book a meeting - then pay through the nose. Like 350 USD pr. hour.

54 minutes ago, billyO said:

Having had some experience with the legal system here in the states, I do know it's possible to put too much in a contract that actually increases your liability.  It could be looked at as you knowing there is something flawed that you are trying to protect yourself from.  Sometimes saying less is better.  Of course, your laws might be different.  That's why I suggest getting a consult.

Just add that to the asking price.

Protecting oneself is in and of itself suspicious? Wow... I guess I'm a bit naive living here in Norway. :lol:

Edited by Alveprins

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Alveprins said:

Protecting oneself is in and of itself suspicious? Wow... I guess I'm a bit naive living here in Norway. :lol:

Not sure if I'd call it naive...IMO it's the result of having too many lawyers here in the States.
My first encounter with this convoluted type of thinking was 25+ years ago when I was a snowboard instructor.  I asked why the lodge never shoveled any of the outside stairs and was told that if they/we did, and someone still slipped and fell, they could sue the mountain for not adequately maintaining/cleaning the stairs.  But if we did nothing, then we were not liable because of something to the effect that the compact snow on the stairs was adequate warning to the public that there is a slipping danger.  
At risk of offending any folks with lawyers in the family (please don't take this personally), this reminds me of a joke I heard 30+years ago...
What do you call a busload of lawyers going over a cliff? 

A good start.

Edited by billyO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

59 minutes ago, billyO said:

it's the result of having too many lawyers here in the States.

Exactly.  And they're all looking for the slightest pretense to sue.  It's why jars of peanuts are required to be labelled "Caution: Contains Peanuts."  And why you can sue a restaurant if you take a big drink of the coffee you just ordered and it happens to be hot!  They do have a few uses, which is why they're still a necessary evil, but the greater majority of them are parasites.  We have several that even advertise they'll take your case for free if they think they can get money from it, regardless of the merits.  But that's another subject.  

I wish you the best of luck in Atlanta!  I wish I could pop down and say hello, but I don't have time. Only six hours by car, 35 minutes by air, but I have too much to be doing here. :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I wish you the best of luck in Atlanta!  I wish I could pop down and say hello, but I don't have time. Only six hours by car, 35 minutes by air, but I have too much to be doing here. :(

No worries. :)

And now - to get in the car and drive to the Airport. Until next time...

Godspeed, safe travels and have fun!

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

Posted (edited)

Alright folks.. got my exhibitor badge and managed to set up my little table. Here's a peek:

20240606_100629.jpg

Gonna have my Galaxy Tab set up next to the infoboard to the right in the image - playing my teaser trailer on repeat, for good measure...

I'll snap an image / video of the complete setup with dagger, sheath, book and pad on the table.

Until then, have a good one!

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 5

Sooo.....how'd it go?

How was you visit to the states?

Hopefully you were treated better than many of us treat our neighbors. 

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

11 hours ago, billyO said:

Sooo.....how'd it go?

How was you visit to the states?

Hopefully you were treated better than many of us treat our neighbors. 

No sale.

No prize.

The people were very friendly though, and supportive. I also had the privilege of meeting several people whose names are very well known in the upper echelons of the knife world - so that was very rewarding.

The experience as a whole taught me allot.

• I learned where I should go, and where I should not.
  • I learned that design and craftsmanship are not the only requirements of success.

I came out of it a whole lot less naive than I went in - so I recon I at least bought myself some personal growth.

There were a couple of people who really opened my eyes in regards to how this game works, and made very valuable recommendations in regards to future endeavors. I now have a much more clear picture of what I must do.

Other than that it was very tiring. Standing upright for 9 hours a day Friday - Sunday wreaked havoc on my feet, and pretty much every other bone in my body.

I've been back in Norway for a couple of days now, and I am still not fully recovered.

• Like 3

I would be “adrift “ for a week after the Blade show….. I think most people are….it is an exhausting affair …. I think it is harder to stand at a table for 9 hrs than it is to stand before an anvil or an engravers block for 9 hours…. And it is for sure more mentally exhausting than a day of physical labor….

I’m looking forward to your next endeavor after having been seasoned by diving into in the deep end …..and thanks again for taking us on your journey … 

• Like 1

Well, that outcome was always a possibility. :( But!  As you said, you have learned more about how this works, and that's worth the price of admission.  It can be a large hit to the ego, but accept it in good faith and you'll go far. 

I learned enough at my first big show as an exhibitor (Contemporary Longrifle Association, September 2001) that it really changed my perspective of what is expected of art and craft.  My table was right behind one of the biggest names in the field at the time, and he was a blast to talk to.  I still use some of his tricks to "antique" objects, and also to identify fakes.  If you know how it's done, it's easy to spot! I also learned just how much a name can account for in pricing.  That particular gentleman could sell tomahawks for $10K all day long, while mine at the time were lucky to get $250 for the same level of quality.  

• Thanks 1

Since this is a pinned WIP thread - I suppose I will share the final pictures as the last post on this thread. :)

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-02.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-15.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-11.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-16.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-10.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-04.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-05.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-09.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-03.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-08.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-07.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-13.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-12.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-06.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-18.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-19.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-14.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-17.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-01.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-22.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-20.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-21.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-23.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-24.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-26.jpg

Ambitions_Edge_Low_Rez-25.jpg

image.jpeg

1227,5 hours of work is done, and soon I will start my next journey. Until then - thank you everyone for following along. :)

• Like 3

Wowza!  

I'm sure there's someone out there who will appreciate this as much as you and want to have it for their own.  It took me 1-1/2 years to find the right buyer for my damascus chess set.

Be patient.

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO