Fisher anvil -- reasonable purchase?

Daryl Houston

I've found a 1920 Fisher anvil (100 pounds) in a local auction that I'm thinking of picking up, but I wanted to check in about the condition and value (acknowledging that value is in the eye of the purchaser). It looks pretty clean to me, though I'm not sure about the circle (mouse hole?) in the front or the wavy bits on the bottom of the back side. Does the condition send up any yellow flags for anybody? Current bid is $320 (plus 18% auction fee), which is pretty much at the top of my budget for an additional anvil. It'd come out to about $3.50/pound, which seems ok. Not sure how much of an improvement it'd really be over my current entry level Accaio at 66 pounds, though. I'm wondering if this looks to more experienced folks like a good buy or a lemon. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 4.45.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 4.45.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 4.46.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 4.46.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 4.46.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 4.46.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 4.46.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 4.47.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 4.47.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 4.47.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 4.47.59 PM.png

If I was to try to buy a new anvil that weight locally, it would be the same price (minus auction fee), but I like the height and looks of that one. I say it's reasonable if you like it, but it's not a deal. Not sure it would be a lot better than a 66 lb one though. I use a 22 lb anvil! For small stuff it works fine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carlos Lara said:

If I was to try to buy a new anvil that weight locally, it would be the same price (minus auction fee), but I like the height and looks of that one. I say it's reasonable if you like it, but it's not a deal. Not sure it would be a lot better than a 66 lb one though. I use a 22 lb anvil! For small stuff it works fine.

Cool, thanks, that's helpful! I'm mostly fiddling with blades and small stuff in my home forge and do have access to heavier/bigger anvils and a power hammer. Part of it is just wanting an older and bigger anvil for, I guess, basically aesthetic reasons. Not sure aesthetics are worth $350, though. They might be for a 200# anvil!

I own 3 Fishers, and I love them.  I have two issues with this one.  One is the big hole bored into the body between the feet, under the logo.  That's not a feature that I've ever seen, it's probably some owners mod for some custom process.  If it doesn't hurt the performance or the structure of the anvil, it's fine.

The second is the line around the edge on the logo side.  It's not on the other side, but it shouldn't really be there.  So long as it has good rebound and no buzz or clunk, it should be fine.

Be aware, Fishers don't ring (which is nice in a small shop) and are designed not to.  They don't have the snappy rebound of a Peter Wright or Hay Budden.  I love the closed bolt holes, no other anvil has them, and not all Fishers do either.  The edges are good, not perfect, but it's had a life, and that's OK>

I can't comment on the price, it's about average for where I live, YMMV.

Geoff

• Like 1

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

It looks to be in fair shape.  As for price, every 100lb. I've seen sold in the last decade has gone for at least $600  Forged in Fire may have helped with knife prices, but it has also helped jack up equipment prices.

• Like 1

I agree with Geoff and Gerald. And it will be a noticeable improvement on a 66lb accaio.  Around here I'd expect to see it for around $600 - $800.  And I'd pay up to $500.  But then, I don't need one.  If I needed a real anvil I'd certainly not blink at $600 for that one.

• Like 1