New learning teaching venue

Iron John Logan

Hey all! Just secured the building to create a long time dream of mine - an ultimate shop to host makers and their students for demos and classes in all things blacksmithing, bladesmithing, small foundry, beginner classes, etc. Centrally located in Leslie Michigan right off highway 127 - Artfire Michigan is a 3,000 sqft light industrial space with heat, 3ph electrical, natural gas and propane, air supply, you name it. The building was previously my late father's diesel engine shop and still has some inventory and machinery that needs to go but is laid out with a spacious main shop and specialized "clean" rooms perfect for grinders and fitting/ work benches, class rooms etc. 

It is still early days in this endeavor and I have more questions than I know how to ask but I am all ears to everyone's insight. If you're local or you want to get involved this will be a long grassroots project and I am looking for all the help I can get! 

Follow the Artfire Michigan page on Facebook to watch as it all comes together

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61551444338549&mibextid=ZbWKwL 

DSC_0246.jpg

• Like 3

www.ironjohnlogan.com

If you want I can introduce you to the board of directors for Chicago's largest makerspace as a resource for asking all the back end questions on the organizational level as for what they recommend or who/what to ask to make sure you run smoothly and are protected. I know a few others and some closer in Ohio, but I don't know them well enough to make introductions or recommendations.

If you are past that point and looking for operational questions I know some others within this org and others who you can reach out to ask questions.

Good morning, John.  I'm in charge of the forge/metal shop at what seems to be a similar venture here in Portland, OR that started 2+years ago.

http://www.pastlives.space
Feel free to hit me up with any questions.  I can't promise any answers, but am willing to share  my experiences, and/or perhaps get you in contact with the person with answers.

Edited by billyO
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO